LG GSA-4167B - Does not recognise writable disks

Furry Bear 19:26 03 Dec 05

My system is AMD Athlon 1.6 running Win XP Home (SP2)640mb ram.
I have just fitted the above to my system and it appears in the drive list OK, However as soon as a DVD-R or DVD+RW (the only 2 sorts of writable disk I have to hand) is inserted the drive name changes to "CD Drive" It is not possible to copy files to the drive using XP's wizard (it says it cannot complete task) and usually the drive refused to physically open again until the system has been re-booted. My version of Nero does not recognise it either but that does not surprise me as it is ver 5. I don't have the recommended 20gb HD space on drive C (but do on drive D) and don't have the recommended 2.4ghz processor 0r 128mb video memory (why is that needed?) but am not sure if these are the problem or if the drive is faulty. It recognises DVD-Rom disks fine. XP also reports the device as working normally.

Skills 21:25 03 Dec 05

Xps in built burning program does not support writing to DVD so that why that fails. Theres a good chance that the version of nero you have does not support your drive and wouldnt write to dvds without a dvd plugin anyway.

There are 2 free programs that support writing to DVD so I suggest downloading them and trying that click here or click here

Hopefully that should let you write to DVD and therefore will rule out a hardware problem.

Furry Bear 22:36 03 Dec 05

Hi Skills, Thanks for the help, the drive does write perfectly using Deepburner. Once a disk has been written to, its name appears as I would expect when inserted. It is only when inserting a blank disk that the name changes to "CD Drive" and when trying to access it I get "E:\Is not Accessable. Incorrect Function."
Presumably this is a problem caused by XP?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:51 04 Dec 05

My computer - right click drive - properties -recording tab

tick "Enable CD recording on this drive"

Furry Bear 10:10 05 Dec 05

Thanks for the help both - all now OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…