LG-GSA-4163B 16x DVD writer in External Enclosure

SEASHANTY 16:54 18 Jun 05

I purchased both the LG drive (£30) and the caddy (AC 5041) which is both Firewire & USB2 (£20) from Blankdiskshop click here
to make an external DVD drive. Amazed at the contents with this caddy. USB & firewire cables. 3 packs of screws, screwdriver, spare 4" IDE cable, CD-ROM driver disc for USB (firewire is plug-n-play). Mains cable, power adaptor and instruction leaflet. How can they do all this for twenty quid? The one thing missing is a sound connection lead with 3.5" stereo jacks at either end. Installation takes less than 15 mins and you have an external DVD writer supporting all three formats for less than £50. There are two Firewire IEEE 1394 sockets but only the end one seems to be connected. Get the Yellow exclam marker if the other is used. It works fine.

The only thing which puzzles me is that windows XP
lists the drive as DVD-RAM (K:) and the item as Prolific PL3507 Combo-Device (1394 ATAPI-rev1-10).
I wonder if this is because I already have the same drive installed as an internal drive. Roxio
lists this new external drive correctly as the LG-SGA-4163B. Anyone else noted this wrongly identified drive by XP?

SEASHANTY 11:02 19 Jun 05

The other firewire socket does work - needed a PC reboot. If I connect this external caddy using the USB2 socket then Device Manager in XP correctly identifies the drive as LG-GSA-4163B but in either Firewire socket the drive is identified as Prolific PL3507 Combo-Device 1394 ATAPI. Seems I have two DVD-Drives for the price of one!!

Joe R 11:07 19 Jun 05

SEASHANTY,

the Prolific PL3507 Combo-Device, is the hardware name for the enclosure.

SEASHANTY 11:45 19 Jun 05

Where did you get that info from please? The maker of this enclosure (marked on the box) is Sum E vision - nothing at all marked on the actual hardware. Does the Firewire socket always give the name of the enclosure and not the actual device same as USB?

SEASHANTY 11:49 19 Jun 05

Never mind Joe I have found it. Its the name of the Chipset that the firewire device uses - not the name of an optical drive
click here
Guess I should have done a search on this without jumping to conclusions.

Joe R 11:59 19 Jun 05

SEASHANTY,

the info I got was from here.

I think you have got the right device type though.

click here

SEASHANTY 13:36 19 Jun 05

Thanks for that link. Shame some people seem to be having trouble with it. Its such a beautiful case. I burned a CD on it and that worked fine. Will see how it goes. I certainly cannot grumble at the price paid.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…