LG GDR-8161B XP Drivers needed

tamc98 12:36 26 Mar 03

Just got a replacement DVD drive for my machine running XP Pro. Manual says no drivers needed (non supplied) Windows disagrees.
I have looked on the web but can't seem to find any.
DVD will work as is but goes through the whole 'new hardware found' thing when booting up and showing error in device manager.
Also When I know insert a disk into this or my cdr-w drive (dvd or cd music disks) a standard explorer window open instead of power dvd or media player.
Is this down to the missing driver or have I messed up somewhere.
I have been downloading various dvd player programs all of which I have uninstalled before installing Power DVD XP which came with the new drive.
TIA, Tony.

A15 13:15 26 Mar 03

But if I remember correctly, are not all bootable devices such as hard disks, cd-roms & dvd-roms set up by the bios when the computer boots?. I don't mean that's when drivers are installed, I mean is that not when they are set up & recognized? That's where I would start, re-boot the computer & see if your drive is recognized in BIOS. If not it may be set up wrong or not set to auto detect. As far as the standard Windows Explorer window opening, I believe that this is because the files on the dvd's are not associated with a program. When the Explorer window opens, right click a file & choose open with....... Power DVD XP. If that works OK, then do the same again & tick the always use this program box.

Paranoid Android 13:20 26 Mar 03

This device should not require a dedicated XP driver. I suggest you look elsewhaere for the problem, for example try re-installing your IDE controller drivers.

There should be an option in PowerDVD to enable autoplay.

Marvin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…