LG CD-RW 8524B not recognising CDs

Jayar 19:37 05 Dec 09

Hello,

Having a problem with an LG HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8524B – it is a combo CD-RW/DVD-ROM, operating system Windows XP SP3, burning programme CDburnerXP, Windows NET 3.5 installed.

The PC has a dual fit – an LG CD-ROM (LG HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCB-832B), which works fine, plus the burner as above. The burner shows up in the list in My Computer, and also in Device Manager where it indicates that it is working correctly. However, after inserting a CD in that drive, it will not read it. This includes a cleaning CD, which it does not recognise either.

The burner shows up correctly in the burning programme (and this was Nero 7 until recently, now uninstalled) but the drive will not recognise anything inserted into it.

It is some time since the burner was used, so a System Restore is not possible.

Ideas would be appreciated.

Technotiger 20:03 05 Dec 09

It is probable that the DVD Laser in the drive may need cleaning, using a DVD Drive Cleaner, or that the laser may be damaged. A CD Cleaning disc will not touch the DVD Laser, only the CD Laser.

Jayar 20:27 05 Dec 09

Many thanks Technotiger - I wasn't aware of that, so first action will be to run a DVD cleaner through it. probably early next week. I shall post the result.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…