lexmark 4550 wifi printer sorftware problem

redroy 20:00 02 Feb 08

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO INSTALL A LEXMARK 4550 WIFI PRINTER ON AN ACER LAPTOP EACH TIME I'VE TRIED I GET THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. I'VE TRIED A CLEAN BOOT, ALTERING THE USB BOOT ORDER IN THE BIOS,AND MANY OTHER SMALL CHANGES TO THE LAPTOP WITH THE SAME RESULT EACH TIME. ITS NOT THE SOFTWARE AS I'VE SUCCESFULLY INSTALLED THE DRIVERS ON A HP LAPTOP AND A TOSHIBA LAPTOP. I'VE CONTACTED LEXMARK AND THEY SAY IT IS A BIOS PROBLEM ALTHOUGH WHEN TRYING TO INSTALL ON THE ACER JUST BEFORE THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH I GET A CAUTION MESSAGE THAT STATES IT DOES NOT PASS WINDOWS VERIFERCATION CERTIFICATES, ALTHOUGH IT DID NOT DO THIS ON THE OTHER TWO LAPTOPS. I HAVE CONTACTED ACER AND THEY HAVE NO ANSWERS FOR ME.

ambra4 22:51 02 Feb 08

There is no need to shout just undo the cap lock normal letters will do as we can still hear you

What OS installed on the acer laptop

redroy 09:03 03 Feb 08

I,m using xp home and running norton.

ambra4 12:55 03 Feb 08

Uninstall Norton Not disable “uninstall” and try a reinstall of printer software

Once printer is working reinstall the Norton program and see if you still getting any problems

redroy 22:45 06 Feb 08

I have tried to install the lexmark software after unistalling norton unfortunatly the system still crashes with the blue screen of death. Trying to read the blue screen is impossible as it is only displayed for a second or two. I have contacted lexmark agian and they have said it could be something to do with the usb boot option in the bios. I have changed the boot order still no results I'm reluctant to alter the bios to much in case I damage the laptop.

woodchip 22:53 06 Feb 08

You have problems if this is a new Vista computer. Lexmark are short on drivers for Vista

redroy 18:18 07 Feb 08

I,m running xp home and I think it,s a problem specificaly with acer laptops. I have already installed it on a hp and a toshiba laptop with no problems.

jamalone 22:29 14 May 08

i also have come across this problem today..did you find a fix?

redroy 18:01 15 May 08

No I have been using the printer on the acer laptop via the usb connection and given up trying to find a solution. If you have any luck with this problem I would appreciate it if you could post it here.

GrahamP 18:09 16 May 08

redroy & jamalone,

I've just spent an hour and a half on the phone with "Ronald", a supervisor with Lexmark support and the problem is fixed. I wish I could tell you simply what we did that worked but there were too many changes. My best advice is to email Lexmark support via their website or phone them. It took them about a week to realise they couldn't fix it by email and promise they would phone me. It took another week to actually get to speak to them. The number "in the UK" is 02073652496

To the best of my memory here's what we did.

1)Removed all other printers from Printers and Faxes in Control Panel

2)Removed all printers from Printers and Faxes/File/Server Properties/Drivers

3)Uninstalled all printer software via Add/Remove Programs

4)Uninstalled my Antivirus AVG

5)Ran the Norton Removal Tool to remove traces of an old installation

6)In the Registry deleted all entries for previous printers in HKCU and HKLM/Software and entries for Symantec.

7)There were numerous restarts up to this point and re-attempts at the install which always failed with the BSOD (0x1000007e). So it looks like it was these next steps that did the trick but who knows which of the preceeding ones were also necessary.

9)In the Registry in HKLM/System/CCS/Enum delete a Vid_0000 key (had to be right-clicked and permissions altered to give Full Control. (We may have deleted another Vid_... key relating to one of the printers but I can't remember which)

9)Connected the printer via USB and let the New Hardware Wizard install all the USB requisites. When it failed on the actual printer we backtracked and pointed it to the expanded Lexmark/Drivers\W2K_XP Folder on C:\. At the choose a port point we chose USB001.

At this point the install proceeded and we could print. I've subsequently enabled the wireless and it's hunky-dory.

If you're not familiar with this stuff then I'd advise you to let Lexmark support do it. They will sign on to your system and do it remotely.

GrahamP 18:16 16 May 08

Ooops I forgot: Ronald also got me to download the XP Professional version of the driver rather than the Windows XP one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5