Lexmark 1100 All in One printer

jja244 16:43 16 Dec 07

Friend has Vista Home Premium. Continuous trouble with the printer. Have removed it/reinstalled several times. The drivers are the correct ones. It appears to install OK but in the control panel it always shows Lexmark 1100 & Lexmark 1100 (Copy 1). Sometimes it comes up with the error message 'Cannot communicate with printer' when trying to print. Any ideas anyone?

Totally-braindead 16:47 16 Dec 07

Just in case the 2 drivers are listed both for Vista 32 and Vista 64 bit click here only other thing I can think of is have you installed it correctly. Don't know if Lexmark is the same as Epson but with Epson you don't turn the printer on until when you install the software it tells you to.

jja244 18:31 16 Dec 07

Thanks for the reply. Its Vista 32 drivers I've installed. The setup sequence runs OK. Printer has to be disconnected before installation. Setup tells you when to plug it in etc. Only assumption I've made is that it is a Vista 32 system computer - never thought to check so I'll make sure.

Totally-braindead 21:41 16 Dec 07

I think it might be the same driver for each, they are listed seperatly but both seem to have the same file name so I assume they are one driver for both OS.
No harm in trying the other one I suppose.

The printer definatly works doesn't it? Its not an old one that might be faulty? You could try it on another PC or try another USB cable.

Only ideas I have I'm afraid.

jja244 10:47 17 Dec 07

Printer works fine. Scans OK. Prints OK except 'Copy and Print'. Copies OK - when it comes to print it 'cannot communicate'. Trouble arose this time after he had put the computer to sleep and nipped out for a pint. On waking it up it had dumped the modem and printer drivers. I'll try the other drivers plus a different USB cable. Thanks for your help.

jja244 10:48 17 Dec 07

Forgot to say printer is only a few weeks old. It came with the computer.

jja244 11:28 19 Dec 07

Found that Lexmark 1100 (Copy 1) was trying to scan a document. Although the printer had been uninstalled/reinstalled the system seemed to remember that a scan was in progress - I assume that is why there were always 2 printers in the control panel. Once the scan had been cancelled and the printer uninstalled/reinstalled again it appears to be OK. Only one printer in the control panel now. Used the Vista 32 drivers.

I installed the XP software on my new laptop running Vista. As everyone else above, found it just didn't work - and wouldn't even uninstall.
So, I got a cleanup utility on the Lexmark site and ran it. Then downloaded the supposed compatible Lexmark 1100 driver from their own site. Disconnected the USB as directed. Turned off my virus scanner as directed. Installed the new drivers and reconnected the USB when directed.
The All In One control centre is now on my computer but the printer is NOT listed in Control Panel and when I click Add a Printer I am given an error message "print spooler service is not running".
Anyway, have uninstalled, reinstalled, cleaned repeatedly to no avail. HELP!

MyG 17:47 06 Apr 08

I have a similar problem to jja244 - my printer worked with having downloaded the Vista compatible drivers - now all of a sudden (after setting up wireless router but not sure if this is coincidence) - keep getting the cannot communicate msg - I also have repeatedly uninstalled, re-installed, run the clean up program from Lexmark but no improvement. No the printer works as I can run it wired to a wireless enabled laptop (but, and don't ask me why, the All-in-one centre on the laptop appears as it did on my old PC using XP, which the printer was originally used on - any ideas to a solution or even just an explanation, please reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…