Lengthy XP shutdown

ElayEss 14:16 29 Nov 08

I have a Compaq Evo with a Pentium4 2GHz CPU and 1 GB RAM, running Windows XP Pro SP2 with Avast virus checker.
I usually hibernate my PC at the end of a session and action a full shut down periodically.
Recently, when I shut down by Start/Turn Off Computer/Shutdown, after clicking on Turn Off Computer> it takes around 2 minutes before the option menu of Hibernate, Shutdown, Restart appears. After selecting Shutdown it takes another three minutes before this is achieved.
Another thing, which may or may not throw some light on the reason for the problem, is that after rebooting (which takes the usual time) the background colour is white, wherever I go, and after several minutes the Windows Flag appears with a note saying 'Please Wait', and after this disappears the background colours are as they should be.
Any ideas?

ronalddonald 14:28 29 Nov 08

using the windows defragmantation section, and download this click here and run the optimsier and the disc defrag registry.

johndrew 14:28 29 Nov 08

Have a look at these, you may well be able to resolve your problems:
click here
click here
click here
click here

You may also find that a good clean out with Ccleaner or similar may well help.

howard64 14:47 29 Nov 08

try this . Slow shutdown
This may cure it. It will take about 8-10 seconds for Windows to close after the fix:

1- Start/Run and type Regedit
2- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENT CONTROL SET/CONTROL
3- Click on “Control” [highlight]
4- Select “Wait to kill service timeout” [in right hand pane]
5- Right click and select “Modify”
6- Set to a lower value than 2000
7- A setting of 200 will be sufficient

Normal setting is 2000 but can safely be reduced to 200 for a quick shutdown. Sometimes in PCs, including my own, an extra nought is added on to make it 20000. Not sure why this happens but when it does it leads to a very long shutdown time.

ElayEss 09:04 30 Nov 08

Thanks for that Guys
I disabled Terminal Services and 'Clear Virtual Memory Page File' and I now get a shutdown in around 20 secs.
The other problem about the background colour being white until after the appearance of a two shades of blue rectangular box displaying 'Please Wait' (now running for 8 mins and not yet appeared) is still with me!

JAM3S 10:57 30 Nov 08

Mine had that extra '0' on too howard. Thanks for that tip :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…