Length of modem cable

Shroomy 22:21 30 Oct 05

On installing my broadband modem the software came up with the message that the distance from the phone socket should be no more than 3 metres. I had already bought a high quality 5 metre cable so I installed it anyway with the extra length cable. The internet works but the connection has been a bit hit and miss losing it sometimes altogether. My son, who is doing Computing A level mentioned something about an 8 bit serial signal starting to break up after 3 metres and so deteriorating. Could this be causing the on and off problems and would it be better to keep the cable from the microfilter to the modem to 3 metres and lengthen the USB cable between the modem and the computer.

wrfc_rabbit 22:28 30 Oct 05

yes the information may be correct. i had a similar problem until we moved the pc into the new office downstairs. personally i thaught it was something going wrong with the ISP and they had fixed it until recently!

hope im useful!

Nathan

saxonmarsh 22:31 30 Oct 05

For what it's worth, I'm using 2Mb broadband with Wanadoo and the modem is connected via a 20m cable to the filter on the main phone socket into the house, and have no trouble with it - lucky I guess!! - Keith

lester1 22:40 30 Oct 05

my BT 2Mb connection is running fine through a 15 meter connection

Shroomy 23:02 30 Oct 05

Hmmm - the ISP I'm using is the 8Mb broadband service with Freedom to Surf as recommended by PC Advisor. I guess I'll just live with it for now, see how things go and stop going for perfection. Thanks for the replies anyway.

Stuartli 23:24 30 Oct 05

I use a 10m ADSL cable direct from the Master socket to the modem because the 3m version supplied wasn't long enough.

My son uses a quality 20m telephone extension cable for his broadband (plus the final 3m data cable) and gets the full rated 2MB speed...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…