Lego Racers

Les T 13:04 01 Sep 05

I installed Lego Racers for my son about a month ago. Everything was running fine until yesterday, when it developed a flicker. I've since uninstalled it and then re-installed it, but it still flickers. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

gudgulf 21:46 01 Sep 05

Try this.When you uninstall it go into explorer and delete any remaining folders for the Lego Racers program.Then reinstall it.

What system are you running it on?......My two kids play on the same game a lot and it can give problems on Windows xp.There does seem to be more than one version of the game(Lego Racers 1)....one released in 1999 and a re-release in(I think) 2001.If your game is the original version,check the date on the cd, it might not be as compatible with windows Xp as the later release.

keith-236785 16:05 02 Sep 05

just to say, i have installed the 1999 edition of Lego Racers onto windows XP Pro and it plays without fault (brings back memories lol)

only thing i didnt do during install was to install directx 6.1 which it asks for (i have directx9.0c)

check out your dxdiag settings and make sure you are on 6.1 or greater (start/run and type dxdiag)

other than that, try turning off disk indexing (right click on drive c:, its near the bottom of the drive details screen. On my system it is turned on and as said, it plays without fault.

also check you have the latest graphic card drivers installed.

best of luck

keith-236785 16:06 02 Sep 05

what could have happened yesterday to change things, windows update, other software installed ie. disk management or utilities, if nothing then just ignore, it was just a thought as i was re-reading your original post.

Les T 20:45 02 Sep 05

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, nothing seems to help though. I've e-mailed the support desk of the supplier, i'll keep you posted if i get any joy.

Les T 20:07 06 Sep 05

Just to let you know, i got an answer from a guy at support at Focus Multi-media. My copy of Lego Racers is know working perfectly, thanks again to Focus MM.

Skills 20:10 06 Sep 05

What did they tell you to do?

keith-236785 20:20 06 Sep 05

for the benefit of others can you give a brief (or detailed if you want) answer to the problem?

thanks

gudgulf 21:46 06 Sep 05

Yes, please spill the beans.......I have Lego Racers 1 and 2,Lego Racers 2001,lego Island,Lego Chess,Lego Stunt Rally and Lego Starwars on my kids' pc.All of them can be a bit *buggy* at times so I too would welcome any tips.

Les T 06:44 07 Sep 05

Part 1

Normally these types of problems happen when any of the following are true:-

1. You don’t have enough memory onboard your graphics card.

2. Your graphics card drivers are out of date.

3. Your graphics card hardware acceleration is not turned on or set to full.

4. Your graphics card has no support for DirectDraw/Direct3D/AGP texture acceleration or these options are disabled.

5. You are not using the latest version of DirectX.

6. If you have Internet access and none of the above helps, e-mail Technical Support with a DirectX Diagnostic Report file. Instructions to send this are listed under Solution 6 below.

Below are the solutions to each of the cases:-

Solution 1

--------------

To check your graphics card memory you need to do the following:-

> Click on ‘Start’ in Windows, then click on ‘Run’. Type into the box ‘DXDIAG’ (without the quotes) and press ‘OK’.

> When the Directx Diagnostic Tool loads on the screen click on the tab at the top called ‘Display’.

> A few lines below the Display tab is a line that says ‘Approx Total Memory’. You must ensure that this at least matches the figure listed under the required megabytes (MB) listed next to ‘Graphics’ under System Requirements on the back of the box.

For example, if the system requirements on the back of the box state a minimum of a 16.0MB Graphics Card you must have this in your system in order to use the program.

If you have less ‘MB’ than this minimum, the only thing you could do is to upgrade your graphics card. You can buy high quality graphics cards with 64MB RAM or above for as little as £30 from most computer shops. Your local computer shop would be able to give you further advice and install a new card for you.

---------------------------------------------

Solution 2

--------------

The most common cause of problems in any game is that the drivers for the graphics card are not up-to-date. Manufacturers release new drivers on a regular basis, sometimes every few weeks, to ensure that their graphics cards work with the latest games and are compatible with newer versions of DirectX (DirectX is an Application Programming Interface or API used by game developers to create the latest games).

To find out what graphics card you have in order to get the correct drivers for them, you need to do the following:-

> Click on ‘Start’ in Windows, then click on ‘Run’. Type into the box ‘DXDIAG’ (without the quotes) and press ‘OK’.

> When the Directx Diagnostic Tool loads on the screen click on the tab at the top called ‘Display’. Below it will have two lines that say ‘Name’ and ‘Manufacturer’. The name is the model number of your graphics card. The only other thing you need to know is the version of Windows that you are using. If you are unsure, click onto ‘System’ at the top left of the box – it will tell you the version of Windows a few lines down.

Here is a list of websites you can go to download the latest drivers for the most popular graphics cards.

MANUFACTURER WEBSITE

ATI Technologies click here

Creative click here

Intel click here

Nvidia click here

S3 Graphics click here

SiS click here

VIA click here

As you can see it is fairly easy to work out the website you need to go to. If the manufacturer of your graphics card is not listed above, either contact the manufacturer of your PC / place of purchase of PC or use a search engine such as click here to try and find the manufacturer’s website. Instructions to download each driver will be given on the appropriate website – it is usually straightforward. Please always remember that you should always click on OPEN whenever you see a File Download box as this will ensure that the driver installation commences after the download is complete. You will have to restart your PC after installing the new drivers.

Les T 06:45 07 Sep 05

Solution 3

--------------

To set your graphics hardware acceleration to full you need to follow the instructions below depending on what version of windows you have:

Windows 95 / 98 / ME

Right click anywhere on the desktop and choose Properties.

Select the Settings tab and click Advanced...

Select the Performance tab

Move the slider bar all the way to the right so that Hardware Acceleration is set at FULL and click OK.

Now restart your computer and try the software.

Windows 2000 / XP

Right click anywhere on the desktop and choose Properties.

Select the Settings tab and click Advanced...

Select the Troubleshoot tab

Move the slider bar all the way to the right so that Hardware Acceleration is set at FULL and click OK.

Now restart your computer and try the software.

Solution 4

--------------

To find out what acceleration is disabled or not available, you need to do the following:

> Click on START, then click on RUN, then type into the box DXDIAG and press OK.

> When the Directx Diagnostic Tool loads on the screen click on the tab at the top called DISPLAY

> At the bottom of the page will be 3 options: DirectDraw, Direct3D, AGP texture

These options if disabled can be turn on by clicking the 'enable' button to the right of each one

If these options are not available then you must carry out the advice from solution 1 above.

Solution 5

--------------

You firstly need to check what version of DirectX you are using. To do this:-

> When the Directx Diagnostic Tool loads on the screen look for a line approximately 1 inch from the bottom that says ‘DirectX Version’. Next to this it will tell you the current version of DirectX you have installed. For example, it may say ‘DirectX 8.1’.

If you have tried all of the other solutions listed above AND you have either an ATI or Nvidia graphics card you should try download the latest version of DirectX. To obtain the latest version of DirectX, go to a search engine such as click here and type in DirectX. The webpage you need will be the first one in the list so click on this. When you get to the Microsoft website, the latest version will be listed on that page. Follow the on screen instructions to install.

If you have tried all of the other solutions listed above and you DO NOT HAVE an ATI or Nvidia graphics card, your card may not be compatible with the latest version of DirectX. You can download version 8.0 of DirectX in the same way as above, just make sure you click on ‘DirectX 8.0’ instead of clicking on the latest version of DirectX when you get to the Microsoft website.

Solution 6

--------------

Usually if you have followed the above instructions you will have solved the problem by this point, however if you still have difficulties, please e-mail Focus Technical Support and send us a DirectX Diagnostic Report - this will give us more information about your system so that we can help further. To send this:-

Click Start in Windows and click Run. Type in DXDIAG and click OK.

In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool box click on Save All Information and save the file to your desktop.

Please then attach the DXDIAG.TXT file from your desktop in your e-mail and send it to [email protected].

Please include the following in your e-mail:-

> The name of the software and the product code, which can be located on the spine of the box. This usually begins with ESS or FFB followed by a number.

> A detailed description of the problem(s). The more detail you are able to provide, the quicker we should be able to provide a solution for you.

>The point at which you run into the problem(s), for example half way through installation.

>Any error messages you receive, exactly as they appear on the screen

We will then do our best to get back to you with a solution as quickly as possible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac