Legal Notice...

iconoclast 09:50 11 Nov 06

I run Spyware Doctor on a scheduled regular basis and have Norton Internet Security 2006 in place. Just recently, I have started to receive this warning message:

Legal Notice:
Please note that the removal of certain detected items from your computer may result in you ceasing to be authorized to continue using the host prgrams that originally installed those items and may result in the host program ceasing to operate...(and on it goes)

Is this a valid messge or a clever device for getting me to leave viruses in place? Any guidance would be welcome

bruno 10:15 11 Nov 06

I think it just means that some programmes put cookies on your PC to enable them to run and if you clean them out they may no longer run.

lisa02 10:23 11 Nov 06

Some freebie programs come with adware/spyware bundled in with it. That's how it's free the advertising pays for it. If you remove the bundled crap then the freebie (host) program will no longer work.

mattyc_92 10:23 11 Nov 06

Spybot S&D states the same thing.

Basically, some programs require 'Adware' to operate (all in the 'Terms & Cons', you know the part of the installer you always blindly click Agree as we all do).
Also removing the Adware means you are breaking the Terms & Cons of the program. So legally, you shouldn't be using the program

lisa02 10:24 11 Nov 06

Incidentally spybot s&d displays the same warning but I have no freebie software that may have come with crap so I ignore it.

terryf 10:28 11 Nov 06

You can set SD not to display this nagging message

mattyc_92 10:39 11 Nov 06

..... as you probably can with 'Spyware Doctor' if you dive into the Options page ;-)

iconoclast 15:50 11 Nov 06

Thanks for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac