Is This Legal?

Expat 1 11:31 26 Apr 06

I recently bought an Advent 7100 Laptop from PC World. On checking the specifications with Belarc System Check I discovered the following.

Operating System
System Model Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2
DIXONSXP To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Serial Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Asset Tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Chassis Serial Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Processor a Main Circuit Board 1450 megahertz Intel Pentium III
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
Board: DIXONSXP to be filled by O.E.M.
Serial Number: To be filled by O.E.M.
Bus Clock: 400 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 080011 06/09/2005

Is this legal to withhold the system serial number, Asset Tag and Chassis Serial number?

I would have thought I would need them at some time should anything go drastically wrong in the future.

Expat 1 12:09 26 Apr 06

I live In Spain and will be returning there at the weekend. If there's anything I can do about obtaining the relevant OEM numbers and information I would be grateful.

Expat1

martjc 12:16 26 Apr 06

...and tell them you want the details. They should have no need to withhold them.

Expat 1 12:31 26 Apr 06

martjc.

I bought it in London am now in Manchester. Just thought that there might be a way to find out over the net. I have all the relevant reciepts.

spuds 12:56 26 Apr 06

Email PC World head office customer services, and raise the matter with them.

Regarding your warranty, did you register the computer, using a UK address. If not perhaps PCW may have a warranty arrangement with their Spanish outlet. If you didn't find out at the time of purchase, perhaps an additional question in your email, may resolve a possible future issue!.

Smiler 13:09 26 Apr 06

You could go to any PC World and talk to them you don't have to go back to the one in London

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…