LED's and Power Connectors on Mother Board

Dearersteak 16:07 12 Nov 03

Hello All

Ok, I've just take deleivery of my new motherboard, (Asus A7V8X-MX), CPU, (Xp 2600+ 333fsb), Ram (512 DDR 333) and Fan (Rather Funky Cooler master aero 7 lite) (£201)

Basicly, in a nut shell, the only problem i've had so far, are the lights, and turning it on and off. I'm not 100% sure i have got the wirering right, because when i put the mains power into the power supply, the machine starts booting up straight away. The only way i can turn it off after shutting down windows (because xp does'nt, and never did before installing the new parts anyhow) is again to unplug the power. And when i Do try to use the power button, it just makes the power light blink on and off slowly, and the screen goes blank till i press it again and it comes back on.

Any idea's?

Rtus 16:26 12 Nov 03

(it just makes the power light blink on and off slowly, and the screen goes blank till i press it again and it comes back on. )Try setting the bios Power management To >soft off by PBTN instant off! might help..The actual wording may vary but results the same OFF..

keith-236785 16:35 12 Nov 03

unplug the reset header from the motherboard pins and see if that helps, you may have a sticking reset button which is causing the pc to cycle the power.

Dearersteak 16:42 12 Nov 03

ok, well, i've tryed the first idea by Rtus, and thing is, it was already set to instant off. But again, all its doing, is going into a suspend mode. And Paperman, I don't have a reset button. the only wires i have, are two for the hdd led's that appear to be working now, two wires for the power light, which, again, i'm sure is now working, and the 3rd set are the power button.

Whats Gone wrong?

froggg 17:20 12 Nov 03

are you sure no reset wires?I've never seen a case that didn't have them.(or a button on the case front)
anyway,remove ALL wires connected to the case,switch mains power on.
if it starts you have a problem with the power supply or (less likely-imo)mobo.
If it DOESN'T start,you need to re-arrange the case wires.

Dearersteak 17:31 12 Nov 03

Ahhh. right, well... at one point, i did dissconnect all the wires, and thats what happened... but i've been using this(500W)powersupply (bout 3 months old) for a while on my old Mobo, and never had Any problems.

Am sure its not the power suppy. Have an old 145w one i could throw in just to check, but i don't think it has the guts to power a 2600 Amd... as it was origanly being used on a 600mhz Slot A

What do u think?

Cretin07 17:39 12 Nov 03

your power switch is connected to wrong pins. done that to my old pc and same thing happened, connected them correctly problem solved. look at your motheboard manual to see correct pins, it should have it, or look on their website.

Cretin07 17:41 12 Nov 03

remember look at alignment carefully, as they are pretty hard to connect. well with me neways. and if that fails try just moviung the switch connector one pin left or right and keep doing it until right combination.

Rtus 17:54 12 Nov 03

The Front panel connection diagram is on Page 30 of the manual Which Ill send via email if you contact me via Yell env By my reply thread...

Rtus 17:57 12 Nov 03

If you havent got manual that is ..

Rtus 18:09 12 Nov 03

Some cases have the rest button tucked away in the wiring for front panel .You are using a modern case ? Cables concerned are 1 x POWER LED =2 wires , 1 x hd LED(IDE led)2 wires,1x ATX Power Sw=2wires, 1 x Reset sw =2wires,1 x Speaker = 2 wires or 4 depending on its termination plug..Additionally theres a system management interupt switch* ( which is possible youve mistaken that for the ATX Pwr )*This wiring may not be fitted in the case front panel loom ..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…