Leaving PC switched on with Broadband

TommyRed 20:51 02 Mar 04

Will be getting BB in the next few weeks and I'm just checking what procedures forum members use ie leaving PC switched on, turning off monitor, what is hibernation. Also as I'll be connected to the web 24/7 what extra security measures, if any. would be required. I currently have AVG, ZA, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware and SpywareBlaster, all the free versions. My OS is XP home. TIA TR

VoG II 20:54 02 Mar 04

You have enough protection.

Personally I leave mine on 24/7 except during holidays. Basically it is used on and off from about 6am to midnight (or later) so hardly seems worth the bother of shutting down.

Chris the Ancient 21:02 02 Mar 04

I'm in the same league as VoG.

But I switch off while I'm in bed and then back on 1st thing in the morning.

I've set my system power management so that the screen saver kicks in after 5 minutes and turns off the monitor after 20 minutes. As my machine is the 'server' for the printers and internet, I don't spin down the hard drives, hibernate or sleep.

HTH

Chris

Gongoozler 21:03 02 Mar 04

The only advantage in shutting down is that it stops me from popping in throughout the day to see what is happening on the PCA forum ;-)

Gaz 25 21:23 02 Mar 04

Stays on all day, turned off at night.

Never know whos lurking.

TommyRed 21:46 02 Mar 04

Thaks for all responses, I think I'll turn off at night otherwise the good lady will be giving me a good earbashing. It'll go something like "what's the point in me turning all the lights off if you've got that bloody computer switched on all night", TR.

Edstow 08:07 03 Mar 04

My insurance company insists that all computer equipment is switched off at night when there is no-one on the premises. They say there is a small, but significant, fire risk.

In a few weeks, the block where my studio is located will be getting 24 hour reception cover. When that happens, we will be leaving our computers switched on. Not decided what power management procedures to use yet.

Ed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…