Leaving laptop pluged in

Steve Lowe 06:15 15 Feb 08

Hello everyone
I have just bought a new dell laptop and when i am in the office i tend to leave the laptop pluged in and just disconnect when i take it out. Does it do the battery any harm to leave it like this?

Thank You

Steve

johnpalmer 08:27 15 Feb 08

I have a Dell Laptop, which is permanently plugged in, and of course shut down when not in use.

I am not an expert, but I have experienced no problems whatsoever.

I have to say that my laptop, which is a big Dell (PC replacement type), is fairly useless on battery power alone, when the screen becomes quite dim.

It has been like this since new in 2006

AlexPB 09:23 15 Feb 08

Hi,

I leave my laptop plugged in when im out and about and not using it. Sometimes i leave it switched on and sometimes i shut it down. I have not found that this has had any effect on the computer whatsoever.

Thanks

bjh 10:05 15 Feb 08

It will shorten the battery life with most laptops. If used as a mains powered computer for long periods (ie week or more), it is a good idea to remove the battery.

laurie53 10:41 15 Feb 08

I have a new Tosh, and the manual advises letting the battery run right down every so often.

Graham. 11:18 15 Feb 08

'...it is recommended that the unused battery be discharged to 40% and placed in the refrigerator to prolong its shelf life.'

Extract from click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…