Leaving laptop on 24/7

Rhuddlan 21:50 03 Sep 08

I have a laptop in my office that is sat next to the window. I am out at work for most of the day and my laptop is left on by the open window.

Is it ok for laptop's and desktop pc's to be left on and bya draft for long periods of time? I will be getting a desktop pc soon and will be replacing the laptop with this.

Any advice will be greatfully recieved.

Mat.

woodchip 21:57 03 Sep 08

If you are out all day then turn them of as there is no benefit in leaving them on, but there is a disadvantage on environment and your pocket

Rhuddlan 21:58 03 Sep 08

Thanks for the comment Woodchip, but there is no harm to the computer if it is left on? Or I suppose I could always put in hibernation or standby mode.

Technotiger 22:03 03 Sep 08

If it is left by an open window, I assume it is three or four stories high! Wouldn't last five minutes round here by an open window!

Technotiger 22:04 03 Sep 08

PS - the draft will do no harm, might even help keep it cool.

Rhuddlan 22:09 03 Sep 08

I live in a quite town in a quiet neighbourhood, have been here 25 years and always have been and felt safe. The window won't be open for long with the weather we are having at the moment.

Thanks for the comments all, will leave as is, just wanted reassurance that no harm will be done if left on.

Mat.

provider 2 22:14 03 Sep 08

I don`t think that`s a reasonable conclusion to draw from what has been said.

Heat is the problem, isn`t it? ... and you hear of people leaving phones to charge and getting so hot they catch fire.

Frankly, it sounds to me like a quite unnecessary risk.

woodchip 22:16 03 Sep 08

Now you know why we have Global Warming

AL47 22:30 03 Sep 08

one time i left my laptop on overnight and my quilt cover had fallen onto it while it was on a chair cushion, so itd had 8 hours on and was covered up, in the morning it was too hot to hold, and the battery had stopped working, i thought it might explode, even the keybord was really hot from the battery, and the battery light wasnt on, nor would the laptop run from the battery!

so i immediatly took the battery out, let it cool right down, the next day the laptop was fine, AND the battery was back working!

so it takes alot to kill one!

i often leave it working on a dvd for a couple or 4 hours after i go to sleep and t turns off automatically after working at 100% on processor power for that time, all fine

Fried~Chips 22:30 03 Sep 08

when its left on 24/7 ? do you happen to run ACARS or SBS ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…