leave your pc running?

lihp 10:44 20 Feb 05

Page 156 of PCA April - 'Prolong the life of your PC - leave your PC running' How can this be? Surely leaving a PC running overnight can do it no good? Plus consuming power resources. What do you lot do?

CurlyWhirly 10:54 20 Feb 05

I always turn my PC off when going to bed as apart from wasting energy, it could be a potential fire hazard if left on.

pk470 10:55 20 Feb 05

I would never leave my computer running 24/7.

HondaMan 10:59 20 Feb 05

Mine's been running 24/7, apart from necessary re-starts and adding new components for about 18 months.

Keeps the room lovely and warm!

sidecar sid 11:28 20 Feb 05
  freaky 12:15 20 Feb 05

If your PC and Monitor support 'Energy Saving', then it is a good idea to put the Monitor and Pc into hibernation mode when they are not being used.

I have a Microsoft keyboard, this has a Sleep button. When I press this the monitor and pc power down, if I later move the mouse then everything powers back on.

I always switch off at night though, as I do not want any ghostly spirits to play with my PC!

Another point to bear in mind is that if you are on Broadband, and leave your machine on continually, then you are more likely to be picked up by a hacker. If you are using Sleep or Hibernation Modes, then your computer would not be detected by a hacker.

For those who do leave their PC's on for 24/7, then as mentioned above on the links, it is a good idea to do a complete shut down/restart occasionally, rather than just a restart. This, for some reason, is sometimes more effective if you have any problems.

lihp 12:21 20 Feb 05

Thank u sidecar sid. I knew this had probably come up in the past but do u think I could find it? Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…