Learning VBA for Excel

Peverelli 02:22 02 Oct 03

Any recommendations for books or websites? I need to catch up with pj123.

VoG, you are most welcome ;O)

Simsy 09:20 02 Oct 03

1)VBA for dummies

and the other one I cant remember the exact name of, but it's Microsoft Press and is called something like

2)VBA Fundementals in Excel

The first of those does cover Excel XP, but the second is specifically for Excel 2000. I presume there now is an XP version?

Also, I have got a great deal of help from click here

And finally, I learnt a lot by recording macros and then studying the code generated. (Tools>Macro>Macros>Edit).

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

rogertjj 10:13 02 Oct 03

Try 'Excel 2000 VBA Programmers Refference' from Wrox. I found it very usefull un the past. Also, as Simsy says, the best way to learn is to record macros, then look at the code that it produces.

Peverelli 11:54 02 Oct 03

Thanks for your suggestions. For anybody else trying to learn, studying the macro is a good idea. The little bit of VBA that I do know was obtained by doing exactly that. I used to do simple programming with Basic on Atari & Sinclair computers, so hopefully it won't be a steep learning curve.

Chris the Ancient 15:05 02 Oct 03

Be a bit Beware. They went bust and there is great difficulty in getting any support or help if things don't go perfectly.

Some books were taken over by Apress and the others taken over by Wiley. Both have 'help rooms' but life can be difficult in the suuport area. Might be worth a look at both sites to see if there have been many 'complaints'.

I found this out (the hard way) after I bought Access 2002 VBA where there is quite a problem with the most important chapter in the book.

However, the up side is that I have been learning a lot from their book.

Chris

VoG II 16:16 02 Oct 03

My personal favourite is click here It is like an electronic book that hou read as Help files in Excel. You can copy and paste the examples. There is other good stuff on that site as well.

Something free from Microsoft! click here

Also

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here (turn off speakers)

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

and finally click here

Good luck. You know where to come when you have questions.

expertec 16:19 02 Oct 03

Impressive set of links VoG, i'll put this in "My Postings" for future reference.

Peverelli 22:57 02 Oct 03

Thanks everyone. Off to work now so I'll be perusing through your many links over the weekend, VoG.

Peverelli 01:36 10 Oct 03

I've bought "Excel VBA Programming 'for the absolute beginner'" by Duane Birnbaum (in my price range). Slowly looking through VoG's very helpful links.

Thanks for your input everyone :O)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…