Learning javascript

AlegSpin 18:42 15 Sep 03

I have a fair amount of experience in WYSIWYG, but now would like to be able to write javascript myself. Could anyone recommend any javascript resources on the Internet so that I can learn it?

harristweed 20:09 15 Sep 03

Why bother?

All the Java you could ever neeed is on the web already.

Check out

click here

click here

click here

powertool 21:11 15 Sep 03

I taught myself HTML and thought I would like to learn javascript so I got a book called Javascript Goodies by Joe Burn who also wrote HTML Goodies which I found easy to use.

OK ... so lesson 1. I sat down to learn.

Now I am a reasonably bright bloke, but when I tried to write the scripts to answer the first exercises / homework set out I realised that I was struggling.

When I then checked the answers I realised that I could have set in a cell for 100 years and would never have got to those answers. A very humbling experience! Maybe I am not such a bright bloke after all?! I certainly think in a very different way to javascript.

However, I still read the rest of the book, and I feel that I can sort of 'read' a script even though I can't write them. This is a useful skill because it means that when you cut and paste a script from the internet you can change the variables and understand what you are doing - well with a few goes anyway!.

Personally I find it hard to learn from the screen and prefer books, but here is the link for 30 lessons on javascripting.

click here

Good luck with it!

Gaz 25 22:15 15 Sep 03

Its not really worth using it...

All the code is mostly on the web now anyway, or can be made using Web authoring programs.

AlegSpin 11:55 16 Sep 03

I am using FrontPage 98

It hasn't been that great. It frequently locks up for a time and then unfreezes. Any ideas why?

I didn't notice any easy javascript capability - is there any in that version?

Forum Editor 12:14 16 Sep 03

is the version that most of us would rather forget. If you can, try to make your budget stretch to the newest version - FP2003, out in a couple of weeks. It's the best yet, by far, and will transform the way you work with FP.

zoomer 13:00 16 Sep 03

lol @ powertool , did a small intro to Java at college and I`m convinced there is voodoo or something involved.......:=)

powertool,PHP is way easier than Javascript and consequently more rewarding

AlegSpin 13:43 16 Sep 03

What does PHP mean, what are its uses and where can one learn it online?

zoomer 14:43 16 Sep 03

I think in its initial incarnation it was called "Personal Home Page" but as it became more powerful I think it became referred to as Hypertext Preprocessor, methinks the best place to start would be click here though the little I have learned (how to write form mailing scripts+insert and retrieve data from MySQL database) I have learned from books as I much prefer books to sitting trawling through tutorials on dial up etc, not to mention with a book I can lie upside down on the sofa etc....:)
books I found helpul were "PHP and MySQL for Dummies" and IMO an excellent book "Beginning PHP" by Wrox Press

Gaz 25 17:20 16 Sep 03

Yes, FP95 is a little too outdated.

I would buy on of the following:-

AceHTML: A great freebe web designer.

Namo web editor: One of the cheapest professional webpage designers and has lots of great features as well as vaidation of all sites created, it is worth is for £45

Frontpage 2003: Good, and also very expensive, but it can turn out good results if used correctly.

Dreamweaver: The one pros use. This is by far the best, but not easy to use. It is also very expensive just for a CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…