heepster 21:56 10 Aug 05

I have just purchaed a dvd writer(external) and it has come with a bewildering array of leads. Does anyone know of a site that will show me what they all are and what they do?

stalion 22:03 10 Aug 05

can you tell us the make of the dvd writer

Technotiger 22:10 10 Aug 05

Hi, Make and Model number would help. Did it not come with a User's Manual or Instructions though?

DieSse 22:37 10 Aug 05

I would have thought you would get

A power lead (maybe one piece - maybe two)

A USB lead

Possibly a Firewire lead- I can't see a reason for any others

The power lead is obviously for power - the other two (chose the appropriate one) is for data between the PC and the writer.

heepster 22:53 10 Aug 05

yes its a Lg drive.I know what the power lead is for , but it came with a lead with USB on one end, and the other end is very much smaller and i have no such connection on my computer. Its also come with a lead with a square connection on one end and a different small connection on the other end .No instructions. I guess its supposed to be foolproof , Very confusing..

stalion 23:02 10 Aug 05

it sounds as if you have a lead for a firewire card square type connection one end and a smaller square type connector on the other.The other lead you have is a lead to connect through a usb connection on your computer.
Have a look here click on usb cables and then
firewire cables to see if they are what you have
click here

DieSse 23:37 11 Aug 05

"but it came with a lead with USB on one end, and the other end is very much smaller"

They're both USB connectors - the flat end goes into the computer - the other end into the drive box - look on it.

€dstowe 06:47 12 Aug 05

If you do have two types of data cable (USB and Firewire) be careful to use only one of them when you connect your writer to the computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…