LCD TV as monitor

mad1234 11:44 18 Oct 07

click here have seen an advert for this LCD TV as a hi res pc monitor. not sure if the resolution will be good enough to work on 24/7 with a 3d modelling system, the resolution would have to be as good as a TFT monitor.

can anyone tell me if it would be worth buying this or should i stick with my 19" monitor

woodchip 11:57 18 Oct 07

Yes it should be OK but you need to Have a Graphics card With DVI out so you can connect it to the one on the TV as PC out is only good for Games and Videos, Not Text.

I am connected on this computer to a 32"LCD HDMI through the HD input Mine was £299 plu vat

mad1234 12:05 18 Oct 07

DVI? is that the long white plug on the graphics card?
this one is advertised for £289+ vat & delivery so probably about the same price as yours

woodchip 12:08 18 Oct 07

Yes it will be that one on the Card. Do not buy a Cable until you check that it as a HDMI input.It my be a good IDEA to check that TV as a MDMI input before you buy

mad1234 12:16 18 Oct 07

it says in the specs it has a DVI input. is that the same thing?

woodchip 12:23 18 Oct 07

Yes that should be OK so you need one to connect the white plug on the Graphics to the DVI on the TV

mad1234 12:40 18 Oct 07

so if i got one of these click here i would be able to connect the LCD int the dvi on the graphics card & into the normal monitor port i could have my 19" TFT. is that correct?

DieSse 13:44 18 Oct 07

"the resolution would have to be as good as a TFT monitor."

The resolution on the TV is nowhere near as good as a monitor, on a size for size basis. It would need to be over 2000 pixels wide. Such a monitor would be extraordinarily expensive.

So what you would get would be a larger picture, with no more (or very little more) detail than a 19/20 inch monitor (which is normally 1280 pixels wide - cf the TV at 1366 wide). You may or may not be able to set your graphics card to 1366x768 resolution - worth checking.

Yes you can connect the monitor and the TV to the two different ports. The link in your last post goes nowhere of interest though - so we don't know what "one of these is"

mad1234 13:58 18 Oct 07

this is a different link but for the same cable click here sorry i didn't check my link before i posted it.

checked my screen resolution on my graphics card & it goes upto 1440 by 900. so i should be OK.

what i need to know is, is the screen quality good enought to read text & see the writing on your decktop icons without straining your eyes. mine arn't too good any more & getting worse by the day

DieSse 14:15 18 Oct 07

Cable looks fine. Just check your two connections are DVI-D type - there is another type, but the descriptor escapes me for now.

"...is the screen quality good enought to read text & see the writing on your decktop icons without straining your eyes."

I have absolutely no idea - sorry. Ask to try one in the shop?

mad1234 14:20 18 Oct 07

the problem with trying one in the shop is this is mailorder only so i was hoping someone here would know.
Woodchip is using a 32" LCD can i assume that if their both HD then the quality would be the same?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…