mark3110 16:25 26 Apr 03

I realise this has probably been asked before, but trying to search this forum etc etc..

So I'm thinking about a new monitor but which should I go for; 19" CRT or a 17" LCD.
This Athlon 2200xp system with a 128 Ram graphics card is mostly used for games..

ANy oppinions greatly appreciated

Djohn 16:45 26 Apr 03

AOC 17" and find it is excellent for games and DVD movie's, but it is such a personal thing to choose that you will need to look for yourself.

If you pop into PC World, on a weekday when it's not too busy, ask them to play a movie on Both types, and then to open word or similar, and type some text in.

Sit back and watch for a while, at least one hour, then decide which you think is best, not only for the display but other factors like desk space/weight, etc.

One reason (among many others) that I like the TFT, is the fact you can turn off the monitor while leaving the PC on, (As you can with a CRT) but when you switch back on, it's there instantly, crystal sharp display, perfect from corner to corner, no waiting for warm up, no adjustment of display settings.

A small thing for some people maybe, but over time it does make a big difference. Have a look, and take your time in coming to a decision, you will be looking at it for a long time once you have bought it. J.

Paperback Writer 17:01 26 Apr 03

"Sit back and watch for a while, at least one hour,"

Spend a full hour in PC World for a demonstration??

woodchip 17:11 26 Apr 03

If you want to do Graphics. Photo Editing or Games CRT is a better choice

woodchip 17:12 26 Apr 03

PS the refresh rate is faster

Paperback Writer 17:18 26 Apr 03

But the picture is nowhere near as sharp, they weigh a ton and no one will want them second hand in a year or two.

ton 17:38 26 Apr 03

Picture not as sharp ??? CRT is my choice. As for no one wanting them second hand in a year or so, I think that applies to most computer parts.

Paperback Writer 17:50 26 Apr 03

It defies science and pure physics to suggest that a CRT picture can be as sharp as an LCD picture - especially a DVI connected one.

VoG™ 18:07 26 Apr 03

I think it's all down to personal preference - I think that Djohn's suggestion of asking for a demo is excellent.

I've just got rid of my 17" CRT and got a 17" Samsung SyncMaster 171s - what a difference!! The colours are more vibrant; I can use greater screen resolution and still read things and so on. But that's just my experience/opinion.

mark3110 18:45 26 Apr 03

Ok Ive taken all that on board and I have spent some time in pcworld (much to my discust ;) )

But like I say from a fast gaming point of view is there any de-generation re frames per second/refreash rates or is it somthing that the human eye wont notice?

Paperback Writer 18:48 26 Apr 03

There used to be a couple of yeras back but the LCD screens have improved nowadays - despite what CRT fanatics would have you believe.

Games look fine on LCD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…