LCD monitors

malgall 20:01 20 Aug 03

Just after advice i have a 17inch ctx crt
am looking at changing this to a LCD
but just want to know do they work with games
is the ghosting they talk about a problem with all or just some

any you would recommend

Djohn 20:33 20 Aug 03

Ghosting is not a problem now, Games and DVD movies are excellent on TFT's.The fact that you also do not get any reflections at all with them is one reason that many gamers are now using them.

I think only the really dedicated gamer would find a problem in the sense that they like to change their resolution to match the game, TFT's work best at their native resolution.

I also think you will really need to try one for yourself as both types of monitor have their advantage/disadvantage, and only you can decide which is best for you. Good luck with your choice, take your time deciding as it's a big expense to find you have made the wrong decision.
Mine? I use an AOC LM720 17" TFT, and love it. j.

citadel 21:29 20 Aug 03

lcd monitors are still not as good as crt for games as they have slow response times. In an edition of pc hardware the tft that fared best was the sony sdm-571r. If I could afford a better monitor I would get a crt the visionmaster pro 514 that is rock steady 1600x1200 at 110hz, try that with a tft.

Djohn 21:48 20 Aug 03

Not quite sure what you mean by "rock steady 1600x1200 at 110hz, try that with a tft."

TFT's are compleatly free of flicker at any screensize, as long as you keep the resolution to match the size of display.

The Sack 22:28 20 Aug 03

A TFT wont go to 1600X1200 thats what he means, but on the other hand a CRT aint as sharp either so it doesnt have to ;-)

I have an Acer AL712 (around 320 quid) it is a 17inch TFT with a DVi port and has a responce time of 20ms (rising and falling, not just one or the other) and therefore suffers no bluring or lag or ghosting on DVDs or UT2003 or Quake III or owt.

malgall 19:03 21 Aug 03

thanks everyone
agree about 1600 x 1200
but i dont use my monitor that high
1024 or 1280 is enough

KCR 19:13 21 Aug 03

For what it's worth I have the NEC Multisync LCD1700NX (had it for a year) and (touch wood) no complaints at all - fantastic for games and DVDs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…