LCD monitor - graphics card

Dave123 08:17 06 Apr 05

We have just redecorated the room in our house we call the study. It's just a spare bedroom where we keep the PC and other stuff. My wife would like me to get a LCD monitor as it would look neater and smaller. Any info on the specification I would need to look out for. I'm not a gamer but would like to watch DVDs occasionally. My PC is about 4 years old. Is there a graphics card issue, - is it likely that I would need a new one?
Thanks

Storik 08:42 06 Apr 05

My flat screen (a Dell) has both analogue and DVI connections, which obviously means it can connect to a graphics card with either connections.

However, and this is a personal opinion, if I were you, I would take the opportunity to buy a graphics card with a DVI connection, and with a minimum of 128MB memory.

Of course, you would have to check with your motherboard manual first, but it is an idea, what do you think?

Storik

DieSse 08:52 06 Apr 05

There isn't a graphics card issue - and you won't need a new one (unless you're not happy with the one you've got).

DVI is not a real issue - most people when asked, can't even see the difference when DVI is used.

You can go ahead and buy any TFT you want with the confidence that it'll work just fine on your system.

Personally think the 17" ones are the best value and, by the way, the screen size really is 17" - compared with a CRT where it's usually 15.8-16".

Dave123 08:57 06 Apr 05

That seems like good advice thanks. WI notice that the response times vary. Any suggestions on acceptable times?

DieSse 09:33 06 Apr 05

Under 20ms for everyday use - under 10ms for games.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…