LCD Monitor

tes 12:07 15 Nov 05

Have just bought my first lcd monitor(ViewSonic VP171s) but I am a bit dissapointed with it can any one help please?
1-- looking at this page ie white background & sitting directly in front with the screen about 18" away the right & left side of the screen seems a bit smokey (on a coloured background it is not noticable)Is this normal & have I just got to get used to it?

2--This monitor can be turned 90degres to a portrait mode, this is gret but when in this mode the mouse as a mind of its own Do I need a special mouse?

By the way I have got PerfectPortrait loaded

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:11 15 Nov 05

right & left side of the screen seems a bit smokey

not normal

Do I need a special mouse? no

try updating the graphics and monitor drivers.

Diemmess 17:35 15 Nov 05

If this is your first LCD a few fundamentals.

Is the resolution set at 1280 X 1024? this setting seems to be the only figure most of these displays like. Unlike CRTs the refresh rate doesn't seem to make a difference so don't force that to its maximum. (Mine is Happy at 60Hz)

If you have a set of buttons at the bottom of the monitor you can try fiddling with them one at a time. The facilities vary from make to make but Auto rearrange, contrast and brilliance are obvious ones to try.

Varied screen brightness could be a sign of a non too sound monitor but let's not go there yet

DieSse 18:05 15 Nov 05

If you've got am nvidia graphics card, the latest drivers have a rotate function. When I last tried PerfectPortrait (some time ago) it didn't work correctly - kept crashing the system. The nvidia stuff seems to work fine.

tes 17:52 16 Nov 05

Have now upgraded the nvidia graphics card which also loaded a prog called pivot pro (it seems to have uninstalled perfectportrait at the same time)Any how the mouse works fine now thank you.
The resolution is set at 1280 X 1024 & the refresh rate is 60Hz. I have fiddled with the controls but can't get rid of the shading at the sides.

tes 17:01 20 Nov 05

bump

Smiler 17:16 20 Nov 05

Looks like a defective monitor. Did you buy it locally or on the net?

tes 17:43 20 Nov 05

On the net

Smiler 15:16 22 Nov 05

Might be worth trying the minitor on another computer if it's the same it looks like a return as defective.

tes 09:21 24 Nov 05

Monitor changed By ViewSonic.Must recomend the no quible setvice I got from them. Thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This poetic animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

How to get WWDC 2017 tickets