LCD Monitor

tes 12:07 15 Nov 05

Have just bought my first lcd monitor(ViewSonic VP171s) but I am a bit dissapointed with it can any one help please?
1-- looking at this page ie white background & sitting directly in front with the screen about 18" away the right & left side of the screen seems a bit smokey (on a coloured background it is not noticable)Is this normal & have I just got to get used to it?

2--This monitor can be turned 90degres to a portrait mode, this is gret but when in this mode the mouse as a mind of its own Do I need a special mouse?

By the way I have got PerfectPortrait loaded

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:11 15 Nov 05

right & left side of the screen seems a bit smokey

not normal

Do I need a special mouse? no

try updating the graphics and monitor drivers.

Diemmess 17:35 15 Nov 05

If this is your first LCD a few fundamentals.

Is the resolution set at 1280 X 1024? this setting seems to be the only figure most of these displays like. Unlike CRTs the refresh rate doesn't seem to make a difference so don't force that to its maximum. (Mine is Happy at 60Hz)

If you have a set of buttons at the bottom of the monitor you can try fiddling with them one at a time. The facilities vary from make to make but Auto rearrange, contrast and brilliance are obvious ones to try.

Varied screen brightness could be a sign of a non too sound monitor but let's not go there yet

DieSse 18:05 15 Nov 05

If you've got am nvidia graphics card, the latest drivers have a rotate function. When I last tried PerfectPortrait (some time ago) it didn't work correctly - kept crashing the system. The nvidia stuff seems to work fine.

tes 17:52 16 Nov 05

Have now upgraded the nvidia graphics card which also loaded a prog called pivot pro (it seems to have uninstalled perfectportrait at the same time)Any how the mouse works fine now thank you.
The resolution is set at 1280 X 1024 & the refresh rate is 60Hz. I have fiddled with the controls but can't get rid of the shading at the sides.

tes 17:01 20 Nov 05

bump

Smiler 17:16 20 Nov 05

Looks like a defective monitor. Did you buy it locally or on the net?

tes 17:43 20 Nov 05

On the net

Smiler 15:16 22 Nov 05

Might be worth trying the minitor on another computer if it's the same it looks like a return as defective.

tes 09:21 24 Nov 05

Monitor changed By ViewSonic.Must recomend the no quible setvice I got from them. Thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…