lavalys everest CPU clock question

hugh-265156 23:14 09 May 04

hi folks.i don't have a problem but would be interested to get some info on this as i have never noticed this behaviour before.

i have xp and a P4 1.8

i have only been using using everest click here for a week or two as aida32 is no longer available.

i was just playing around with it and noticed it had a few more features than aida32,one of them being an overclock tab.when in this menu it shows the CPU,bios,memory info,speed etc.

my processor is listed as 1793.04mhz(original 1800)and fsb as 99.61mhz(original 100)

if i click refresh to refresh the page,the listed cpu and fsb speed changes every time.

it varies a few MHz each time i refresh.cpu from 1790.79 to 1794.06(original 1800)

fsb 99.49 - 99.67mhz(original 100) for example.

why so?

i don't have any facility to overclock or change fsb in my bios as its granny friendly.

just curious.any ideas?

LastChip 23:28 09 May 04

Nothing in electronics is perfectly stable and when you look at the numbers you are referring to, it's a minute percentage "drift" of the nominal values. That is why electronic components, although having a nominal voltage value, will work within a specified range the designer has designated. It also explains to a point, the value of having a quality power supply in your machine, which to a great degree, smooths out these effects.

If you look at a graph of mains voltage, which after all, is where it all starts, the drift there is sometimes horrendous!

hugh-265156 23:33 09 May 04

that makes sense thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac