Launchpad not responding/Task Bar disappeared

Henmin 17:10 08 Mar 04

Hi Folks,

Can someone please HELP!! START won't respond also.

Henmin

Diodorus Siculus 17:21 08 Mar 04

Try ctrl-alt-delete and use the arrow keys to move the machine to restart. It may be ok on restart.

Henmin 22:56 08 Mar 04

Diodorus Siculus,

Thanks. When I press Ctrl-Alt-delete I get the Close Program with Launchpd not responding Highlighted. How do I at the same time move the Arrow Keys to move machine to start. The Task Bar is there but the Icons have disappeared including the clock. I can't Shut Down my computer the normal way using START - Shut Down. START is frozen and as such I can't get into Explorer to get into the Documents.The rest of the computer works OK. I can access all the Desk Top Icons.

henmin

VoG II 22:59 08 Mar 04

Which version of Windows?

Henmin 23:05 08 Mar 04

VoG,
98SE

VoG II 23:14 08 Mar 04

Start. Run, Type in

SFC

and click OK.

and have your Windows CD to hand.

Henmin 23:19 08 Mar 04

START is Frozen. Can't click START.

VoG II 23:22 08 Mar 04

Press Windows key?

Henmin 18:02 09 Mar 04

Windows Key does not respond, both. By the way "have your Windows CD to hand" you wrote. Does this mean the Formatting will follow? I'm really ignorant at all this.

Henmin

Henmin 18:07 09 Mar 04

Sorry VoG, forgot to address you!

VoG II 18:25 09 Mar 04

SFC is System File Checker. It will check for missing/changed/damaged system files. It will allow you to replace them from the Windows CD which is why you need it.

However, that's not much use if it won't start.

Have you tried in Safe Mode - restart and keep tapping the F8 key just before the Windows 98 screen appears. Then choose Safe Mode from the menu (use the arrow keys to select then press Enter).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…