Latest Zone Alarm Free edition Update

gazmix 18:35 21 Sep 07

Hi
ok, my pc isn't the fastest by any means, infact i'm having to use dialup currently as i have no choice!

I have had ZA for ages & even before with dialup, the Updates were like 20mins max!
This recent one, after it told me there was an update & wether i wanted to download, i clicked on yes & it started, showed 4hrs 18 seconds on the download box!

Am i downloading the correct one?, it shouldn't surely be that big.
As i say, before with dialup, it was 20mins max!

Gaz

eedcam 18:43 21 Sep 07

Downloade the update a couple of days back think it was about 5mins or something and I'm on broad band

Spark6 19:29 21 Sep 07

Ignore the prompt from ZA, it can take an unnecessarily long time.
Update from click here

brundle 19:34 21 Sep 07

It'll still take close to 2 hours on dial-up (40mb). Having the very latest edition of a firewall isn't as crucial as it would be if it were an anti-virus package, doubly so if you are still using dial-up.

gazmix 20:07 21 Sep 07

Brundle, so it isn't vital i download the update?
Wouldn't my Firewal be then out of date with the latest intrusions?
I do recall not updating things last time & getting some hassle!!

brundle 20:10 21 Sep 07

Up to you, if you feel you need it download it. Personally I wouldn't bother. ZA is overkill for dialup IMHO, something like Kerio or Comodo would do the job and are only 6-10mb to download.

gazmix 20:11 21 Sep 07

also, would it overwrite the old version? or add on to the current version i have.

gazmix 20:17 21 Sep 07

So if i totaly uninstalled ZA & installed one of the 2 you mention, would they do just as good a job as a firewall?

Would i be at risk whilst in the download stage!

brundle 20:32 21 Sep 07

Download while you have ZA installed, disconnect, remove ZA, install the new firewall. I've used all three, the two alternatives are highly regarded.

ste76 00:51 22 Sep 07

Couldn't you just shutdown ZA completely, then download something else, try it, and if you don't like it, uninstall it and turn ZA back on?

brundle 00:53 22 Sep 07

No, bad idea to have two firewalls installed at the same time - ZA runs a service in the background that starts automatically.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…