Latest Windows update is still a problem

Ancient Learner 21:21 14 Nov 05

I have narrowed my cause down to "Security Update for Windows XP (KB896424)" of last week.

I cannot access any drives(partitions) via 'M computer; 'My computer' opens and shows the different drives, but double clicking on a drive causes the PC to freeze.

GaT7 21:24 14 Nov 05

Have you tried uninstalling it in Add or Remove Programs to see if it made a difference? G

woodchip 21:28 14 Nov 05

If this is the Adaware remover tool, It lost me a Partition, but I managed to get it back. I now do not download it ever

Ancient Learner 21:36 14 Nov 05

I can easily remove it using System Restore. I assume that will be the same as using the Add or Remove, or will it?

It's not the Removal tool - that works just fine - it is the update that I really would like to have installed, but unless I can solve this, I can't

GaT7 21:49 14 Nov 05

It's the 'Vulnerabilities in Graphics Rendering Engine' one click here, so is important.

Yes, you could use System Restore (SR) - that would take you back to a system state before you installed the update. But what you want to do is just remove this update, so I reckon uninstall in Add or Remove would be better option - but I could be wrong.

Whichever you attempt, you'll need to reboot & reinstall the update, & hope this time it installs without causing other problems. G

woodchip 21:55 14 Nov 05

If you can restore to two moths ago it may rid the problem that's stopping it working but only you can decide that

Ancient Learner 12:45 15 Nov 05

On the basis that I had removed the offending update yesterday, for the umpteenth time, and that the PC had been turned off all night, I thought, with no great feeling of confidence, that the conditions fitted what Crossbow7 was suggesting, so I'd give it another whirl - this time all appears well - . Amazing!

The other times I tried it,I was getting rid of it by using System Restore, which, of course, does its own reboot, then doing the install again, which is not, apparently, the same as a manual reboot. Goodness knows why, but such is Microsoft software and computers - I'll try to remember this for the future.

Thank you again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…