Latest MS Update in System Tray- How do I get rid?

rotormota 19:10 06 Jun 06

I had an MS update the other day & it turned out to be a sort of star shaped system tray icon with the purpose of telling me that Service Pack 1 operating systems will not be supported after October.

I don't want it as a start up item. How do I get rid of it please?

Thanks.
J

Jackcoms 19:14 06 Jun 06

Have you got Service Pack 2?

rotormota 19:17 06 Jun 06

No because my PC does not like it. I tried installing a long time ago & there were issues.

VoG II 19:20 06 Jun 06

Right click Taskbar, Properties. Customixe button, find the icon in the list and set to Always hide.

Jackcoms 19:21 06 Jun 06

Well, I suggest that you have a dilemma.

MS will not support SP1 after October - which is another way of saying that it's time to get SP2.

What do you mean - "my PC does not like it".

Did you do any basic PC housekeeping before installing it?

rotormota 19:26 06 Jun 06

Like many other PC users SP2 caused problems on install. I am happy with SP1 & I get all the updates for this anyway & have every security software required. When Vista comes out next year I shall upgrade to a new PC.

Thanks.
J

Stuartli 19:32 06 Jun 06

I've never had problems with SP2 nor with systems I look after for friends and family; my son looks after hundrfeds of systems and he's had the same result.

ade.h 19:37 06 Jun 06

On its initial release, SP2 refused to install on one of my PCs (XP Home), no matter what I tried (CD version and download). It's the only OS CD that I have that is not recent enough to include it. After I had a reason to reinstall Windows, I tried adding SP2 again and it was 100% fine.

Perhaps you should try it again, provided you do some thorough sring cleaning first, set a restore point and make a full system backup if you really want to be on the safe side.

De Marcus™ 19:41 06 Jun 06

Or try slipstreaming XP sp2 and performing a repair.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…