latest MS update + password

Derek 06:41 22 Apr 04

On my other PC - XP Pro, I've just been invited to accept an MS download and clicked Ok.
Disaster strikes because when I boot, my PC demands a password etc.
Haven't got one and never used one in eighteen months, I'm the only one using this 'home' PC.
Tried pressing F8 and used every option but cannot proceed.
Help please.

And...would you beleive it, I've just had another reminder for the same update on this PC ??? which I've cancelled.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:33 22 Apr 04

There is a reported problem with .NET update. This is a timely reminder that just because updates are free you need to review them and ONLY download the ones that are applicable. Do NOT accept any updates unless you need them and it is unlikely that a home user would need it. I assume that you have tried hitting 'enter' at the password screen. have to shoot now but I'll keep an eye on this and hopefully someone will come up with a solution that does not invove a restore CD.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:35 22 Apr 04

You probably downloaded and installed the patch for .NET. It sets up another account on your PC that is password protected. You have to go in as Administrator. Go to Add/Remove programs and remove .Net 1.1. It is about a 37MB install and a waste of space to home users. Hope this helps.

G

Derek 07:12 23 Apr 04

Thanks Gandalf but I still have the old fashioned problem of getting past that password box and thus, I cannot get into Add/Remove etc.
Please help once again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos