Latest iTunes update - any problems?

john bunyan 11:57 29 Jan 14
Answered

I have windows 7 64 bit on several computers on the same iTunes account. Usually the iTunes updates install ok. When the latest one - v 1.1.4.62 was offered on my desktop it failed with a "Lost MSVCR80.dll" error. I tried and failed twice to install, and also failed with the manual method. I solved it by a system restore to the old version. On a laptop it installed ok. I have read of many problems on the internet with this version, particularly of installation issues an when installed of non recognition of devices. I wonder if this is a general problem with others? I tunes annoying suggestions to totally uninstall all I tunes related programmes first is very annoying.

Woolwell 12:26 29 Jan 14

There has been at least one thread about this on this site. Personally I didn't get a snag on 3 systems.

john bunyan 22:47 29 Jan 14

I think this is a very widespread problem and there are many posts on it via Google. It has to do with the fact that when (for W7) .net framework 4.5.1 replaced former versions (as opposed to versions up to 3.5 kept previous versions) , some elements of Microsoft Visual C++ were lost. There seems little doubt that . for some, this update has been a disaster.

john bunyan 20:58 31 Jan 14
Answer

I solved it in the end by the recommended uninstalling of all Apple applications except Cloud, deleting all "Programme files" folders relating to Apple ten installing the new version. I believe there was a glitch to do with the fact that with .net framework 4.5.1 previous .net framework versions were deleted, and somehow this affected some PC's. A long winded an annoying episode.

twitcher 23:35 10 Feb 14

Thanks everybody, I'll suggest that he try system restore first and see how that goes.

twitcher 20:04 12 Feb 14

He tried system restore and it didn't work. I visited him and went for John Bunyan's solution and deleted all Apple applications, then made sure the relevant Registry entries were deleted and downloaded and installed the latest iTunes version. It worked and I now have a very happy neighbour! He asked me to convey his thanks to you all.

john bunyan 20:14 12 Feb 14

twitcher

Glad it worked!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…