Latest Firefox update - some files updates failing

Halmer 10:24 20 Oct 07

For some reason on my Vista PC I keep getting left with a message 'some files could not be updated' or something similar.

I don't want to reinstall FF because of losing the various tweaks that I have done. The update has worked fine on my XP PC. Any ideas please?

Jake_027 10:27 20 Oct 07

Right click on the icon and click run as administrator. Click on continue on the prompt that comes up, and see if it updates successfully then.

Stuartli 10:36 20 Oct 07

Some existing add-ons or extensions are often stated not to work with new Firefox versions - I get the message every time, for instance, in relation to TINYUrl, yet it works perfectly after each FF installation.

Halmer 10:43 20 Oct 07

First fix seems to have worked.

Why do I have to do that when I am already logged on to Vista as an Administrator please?

Jake_027 19:48 20 Oct 07

It means that it makes it more difficult for malware to run. Most programs will run ok without it, but if they need to access system files then they have to be run with this option, as you have found out. If a program doesn't work straight away on vista, its often worth trying running it as administrator. If this is the case you can right click the shortcut, select properties, go to the compatibility tab and tick run this program as an administrator. You will always get the prompt before it starts to continue. however firefox only needs this occasionally, as seen, so it's best only to run as administrator when you need to in order to stay secure. You can turn UAC off, but I hear it can cause problems. Hope this helps!

Halmer 07:19 21 Oct 07

J

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5