Last known good configuration

VoG II 23:03 09 Jan 04

If Windows XP can't start properly it will give this as an option in addition to Safe Mode etc. Is there a way (obviously before you get into this situation) to determine what configuration (e.g. date) that it would apply?

gazmania 23:11 09 Jan 04

Forgive me if you already know this. The MSKB says

"The Last Known Good Configuration feature uses information that is saved from the last time you shut down your computer to restore registry settings and drivers. Because of this, you can use this feature only if you were able to start your computer successfully prior to restoring your system by using the last known good configuration.
After you start your computer by using the last known good configuration, changes that were made since the last successful startup are lost."

Therefore by definition, the date of the last good configuration is always going to be the date of the last successful shutdown. Hope I'm not teaching a duck to suck eggs here.

VoG II 23:16 09 Jan 04

No, thanks and I should have looked at the MSKB first.

It's just that I used this option recently and it seemed to roll me back a long, long way.

Sorry I should have included click here

hugh-265156 23:17 09 Jan 04

as gazmania says above xp will revert to the state it was in the last time you shut down the computer properly.

hugh-265156 23:20 09 Jan 04

just read your other thread.

do you power off completely or standby/hibernate the computer?

dont know if this would make a difference??

VoG II 23:22 09 Jan 04

Turned off - totally, Start/Shutdown and unplugged from mains, as per instructions.

hugh-265156 23:31 09 Jan 04

is the new card sharing an irq(on post screen)is it even listed here?and have you tried another pci slot?

VoG II 23:41 09 Jan 04

Card is not listed in any slot. I think it is a duff card but I also think that because it is knackered that it has attempted to make my PC unbootable.

I can live with that, I was just wondering why Last known good configuration seemed to go back so far.

Also see my previous post. I'm certainly not a hardware expert but I reckon I'm OK on Windows and stuff. So, I managed to retrieve my system. Imagine a newbie faced with the same ...

powerless 23:49 09 Jan 04

Drive Image 7.

VoG II 23:51 09 Jan 04

Are you certain?

Big Elf 11:50 10 Jan 04

I've just done a search on my system. I think the configuation file is the one called ntuser.dat. I've got a large one dated yesterday and 2 smaller ones dated in September. Maybe your most recent entry was corrupted so it used the one from the 'repair' directory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…