laser printers and paper quality

Gingermum 14:58 22 Nov 04

Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't use photo quality paper designed for inkjets on a laser printer?
Would printer paper make a topic for the mag?

€dstowe 15:35 22 Nov 04

Photo paper has a gelatin and/or plastic coating which would melt in the heat of the fuser in a laser printer therfore wrecking the insides of the machine.

Other special finish papers can have fusible (laser printer wreckable) coatings or content.

Only use papers that are specifically suggested for laser printer use. This applies to self adhesive labels and envelopes even more so.

PA28 16:41 22 Nov 04

Photocopier paper seems ideal as it is anticurl and, let's face it, most photocopiers are just laser printers aren't they? I tend to use 90gsm for best work but 80gsm is OK. The only thing to avoid is very cheap papers that leave a powder residue behind. As €dstowe says, anything that has a content that can melt in the fusion part of the laser process (when things get very hot) will probably result, at best, in a new print cartridge being required. These are not cheap.

Gingermum 16:48 22 Nov 04

Thanks to both. That's all clear then. Better buy some more paper!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…