Laser printer smudging

Why wont it work 15:42 18 Aug 08

Around 2 years ago I bought a HP Laserjet 4050DTN for £15 on eBay. It turned out to be a very good investment as it does a whole host useful things like double-sided printing etc, albeit in black & white- plus I have never had to replace the toner and it still reckons it has 75% left!

Anyway, I don't really know anything about laser printers and it has recently started to leave a big black smudge down the left hand side of the page. (It doesn't do it if the writing/ picture is only on the right hand side however). I was wondering what the problem could be? There are tons of cheap spare parts on ebay so I was wondering what I should try? Many thanks in advance

jack 15:55 18 Aug 08

And the mark you mention is fixed
A replacement drum would seem to be an answer

beeuuem 15:57 18 Aug 08

It may be just a dirty corona wire.
Do you have a manual to tell you how to clea the corona wire?
If not look on the HP site eg click here or click here

Why wont it work 15:03 19 Aug 08

Thanks guys. None of that seemed to work... it's not all bad news though. I began to run out of paper this morning so bought some new stuff (Xerox copier paper like I always do) and the smudge has gone! So I tried the old paper again and the smudge was there.... put the new stuff in again and it's gone! Very strange considering it's the same brand, type and grade of paper- can't explain it!

Diemmess 15:11 19 Aug 08

Probably too simple but..........
Has the old stock been allowed to become damp?

This used to be a pain when using an ancient Richo photocopier years ago.

Why wont it work 15:18 19 Aug 08

No reason it would have become damp that I can think of. The printer holds around 1000 sheets, so it's always stored in one of the trays. Doesn't feel damp either- perhaps the paper was contaminated with some chemical or another- oh well, another of lifes little mysteries.

beeuuem 15:50 19 Aug 08

It is peculiar that HP do recommend trying paper from a new ream as a solution to some printing faults.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017