Laser printer and scanner to replace photocopier

Gongoozler 18:57 02 Oct 05

I am looking for a laser printer to replace the photocopier for our Scout group. We generate on average 1000 copies a month, usually in batches of up to 120 copies of any document. As most of the documents are computer generated, a laser printer looks like the right way to go. We would also like
to add some colour to the documents without slowing the printing down too much, and to save paper we would like to have a duplex printing capability. The best printer I have found for this requirement, without spending too much money is the Epson Aculaser C3000 click here.

As I will still need to make some copies from paper documents, I am also looking for a scanner to match up to the printer (I can't find any MFD's that look suitable. Most are a printer with a scanner on top which would be too tall). I am considering the Epson Perfection 3490 click here.

I would appreciate any comments on these choices. Also can anyone give me some advice on the best way to scan a document for direct printing without going via OCR and also maintain image contrast and character definition? As it’s not my money that I will be spending I don’t want to make the wrong choice.

The computer I will be using with these devices is uses a 1.6G Duron and Windows XP.

Gongoozler 20:54 02 Oct 05

Does anyone have any ideas? My reputation as the local "Computer Expert" is at stake.

Gongoozler 09:39 03 Oct 05

No replies on this one yet - I wonder if the day shift has any contributions to make.

When I use my Umax Astra 4600 scanner to copy a text document the lines of the text come out very thick. I suspect that this is due to inferior optics in the scanner. Would a better scanner such as the Epson Perfection 3490 give clearer text?

Gongoozler 16:32 03 Oct 05

Still no replies. I'm getting worried - they tell me that talking to myself is the first sign of madness ;-)

De Marcus™ 16:45 03 Oct 05

I'll throw one in seen as no else has, the hp psc 1205 I have lying around somewhere is a mfd with a tiny footprint, I remember when I bought it the box said "worlds smallest all in one), it does direct photocopies, no pc needed in colour or B&W. There's newer models out now as this one I beleive is discontinued. The downside is cost of ownership and print speed.

Bit pointless posting really, but I couldn't have you go mad ;-)

Gongoozler 17:48 03 Oct 05

Hi De Marcus™. Thanks for that response. I was getting a bit lonely here. Unfortunately an inkjet would be too slow and expensive to run.

jack 20:17 03 Oct 05

I do it all the time, having been given an elderly Tally laser The Epson 'Smartpanel' software that came with my Perfection 2400, has just this facility.
Pop the copy in the scanner activate the software switch on the printer- set up quality/copies etc
and orf you go.

This is black and white of course - colour is something else though.
How is this some years ago a group I am associated with wanted to publish a hand book with colour photos
Print by ink jet would have been slow and costly.
So by planning the layout with care, and printing only the images by inkjet. We were able to feed em through the laser for the text part.

Gongoozler 12:09 04 Oct 05

Hi Jack. Thanks for that. My old Umax Astra 4600 scanner has a "Print" button on it, but the results are very disapointing, low contrast and low definition in the text. Hopefully the Epson Smartpanel software does a better job. I can't spare the "Office" space in the spare bedroom I use for the purpose to keep the big old photocopier as well as a laser printer, so I'm hoping that the scanner-printer solution will work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…