Laser printer operation

sjbell 12:55 15 Oct 04

I've just bought a HP LaserJet 1010 and have set it up this morning. I've never used a laser printer before so apologies if the following appears a stupid question. I've printed a few pages just as a test but I notice vapour or possibly smoke rise from the printer when the pages come out. Is this normal? I can't smell a burning smell but I don’t know if lasers are supposed to do this! Any help / comments would be appreciated.

€dstowe 13:05 15 Oct 04

Don't worry about it. All laser printers get very hot inside because they heat seal the toner on to the paper. The fumes can come from the paper itself, from the polymer additives in the toner or from the silicone oil that is sometimes used in certain laser printers.

Often there is a smell of ozone (an "electric" sort of smell) particularly when printing many sheets. This is from the electrostatic discharges in the printer that are used in the image forming process on the drum prior to the application of toner.

As with most electrical appliances, especially ones that get hot, laser printers should not be left unattened while operating.

€d

uisquebeathus 13:22 15 Oct 04

as per €dstowe almost all laser printers are hot in use and should have a thermal protection built in, the main thing is to make sure that there is no paper stuck in the system. If the paper gets damp at all it will get steamed of during the printing process, try and keep your paper in a dry area and especially if it does get damp do not leave paper in the printer tray overnight or over weekends it can act like a sponge.

sjbell 13:24 15 Oct 04

Thanks for the reassurance!

uisquebeathus 13:29 15 Oct 04

try this for an interesting web site for settings and help with HP printers

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…