Laser Lens Cleaner

ivy lynn-251214 19:59 07 Nov 03

I bought this product (2 brush wet laser lens cleaner. It says the product is ideal for use with DVD:CD:CD-ROM:VIDEO games.

I bought it for my DVD player but i wondered if I can use it with my computer software?

anchor 20:14 07 Nov 03

I have used a CD player lens cleaner, similar to your description, for years with no problems.

I take it that you are not going to use it on the CD`s themselves.

flecc 20:20 07 Nov 03

They're to the same laser/disc platform dimensions.

ivy lynn-251214 20:26 07 Nov 03

Thanks guys

That was a quick response....no I won't be putting the cleaner onto my CD's,but onto the cleaning disc suppied.......

Once again thanks
ETNA

spuds 00:24 08 Nov 03

Do these cleaners really work.Are they worth using?.

The Sack 01:05 08 Nov 03

given it takes a couple of years to kack the lens up (unless you live in a dust bowl) its probably better just to buy a new drive with the silly prices they want for them now.

Stuartli 09:04 08 Nov 03

There should be no need to use a cleaner on a CD/DVD-ROM drive or rewriters.

All types are very well sealed and the only time they are not is the short period inserting or taking out a disk.

Using a wet cleaner would exacerbate the problem because of the considerably increased chance that any dust would stick to it.....

flecc 12:23 08 Nov 03

Agree with Stuartli, under most circumstances it's not necessary. However I've seen some users who carelessly leave unsleeved CD-Rs exposed on desktops and load them covered witn dust, undoing all the care that CD drive manufacturers take to seal them. They could benefit from a CD Cleaner disk used dry to flick the accumulated dust from the lens.

They do get dusty with age though, no matter how well the drive is sealed, but the only way I've ever cleaned these lenses on older equipment is by opening up the drive and cleaning them properly when exposed.

The real problem is that the Philips designed the CD system the wrong way up with the laser lens below the disc pointing upwards, and this mistake was repeated by Sony with Minidisc. The other way round so that CDs were loaded label down would have left the laser lens above with dust not settling on it, and no risk of fingerprinting when sliding fingers under discs when removing them. The benefits of hindsight of course!

ivy lynn-251214 14:12 08 Nov 03

Well guy's I do not know if they make any difference,but the deed is done, and as I only paid ?2.99 at ALDI i thought it cannot do any harm.The directions say clean after every 10 hours of play.But after reading all the comment's I will just do it now and again.

Thanks to you all.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…