largest hard drive size with Windows 98?

grumpy-git 16:00 28 Oct 04

My really old Windows 98 machine has an 8gb hard drive which is split into 4 partitions. Is this because W98 cannot handle big partitions? (might have read that somewhere)

The original cdrom drive has been faulty for ages & I use an internal Iomega cd writer instead.

IF it was possible to use a large hard drive with W98, then I should be able to replace the cdrom with some sort of caddy unit and hard disk?

Some months ago I did manage to network the 2 pc's & it would help with storage problems, as mentioned in another topic, but only practical with a large disk

SANTOS7 16:10 28 Oct 04

click here this may help,good luck.........

pj123 16:49 28 Oct 04

It is not Windows that determines the maximum size hard drive. It is the Motherboard and the BIOS.

I have a computer running win98SE that has an 80gb hard drive (master) and a 120gb slave hard drive partitioned as 20gb and 100gb, giving me C: 80gb, D: 20gb, E: 100gb then my cd and dvd drives.

You will need to check your motherboard and BIOS to determine the maximum size hard drive you can install.

TomJerry 16:55 28 Oct 04

even XP without service pack cannot handle it

grumpy-git 20:53 28 Oct 04

Thanks folks, that should give me a few things to check. Will let you know how I get on.

G-G

woodchip 21:38 28 Oct 04

Hears from my own experience, I got a 200Gb drive for a External USB drive bay, and had to put it in my Win98se comp to put a Primary partition on it before I could get it recognised in the External case. Win98 recognised it as a 128Gb drive so no problem for what I wanted as I used Acronis to create the Partitions for the first and after I installed it in the case win98se and Acronis recognised the full size of the disc.

grumpy-git 08:02 29 Oct 04

Woodchip,

Thanks, I'm not sure if mine is the "se" version, think it is plain 98. I'll have to investigate, but on a warmer day, as that pc is in the attic room & it's a bit chilly up there for messing around too long.

G-G

roy 22:37 30 Oct 04

Just keeping an eye on this.

grumpy-git 20:04 04 Nov 04

Just tried to get more info on the BIOS. I did read somewhere that if you unplugged the keyboard or held down one of the keys when you switched on the pc, then it would give all the BIOS info. Well, that doesn't work, it just boots up as normal. All I can find is AMIBIOS version 1.19. There is a date of 1996, but also 4.10.98 appears, if memory serves me right, soon after the pc is switched on.

Not getting far on this one!

G-G

grumpy-git 16:57 01 Dec 04

Hopefully I won't need to use the old pc now that I have a new machine, so am forgetting this project now.

G-G

woodchip 18:31 01 Dec 04

Press the Delete key when it boots or F1 or F2

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…