Large incoming emails

huzzar 14:17 08 Jul 03

I am trying to download my emails but after ages it fails. Yesterday there were 2 emails which totalled 9.57Mb, don't know what they are or who from but it, or they, are giving me lots of grief. As I say, after ages of "downloading" mail from this server it fails. There are now 6 emails to a total of 9.60Mb.

I am using WinXP Home and OE 6. any help on this one will be greatfully recieved.

Bagsey 14:28 08 Jul 03

Under these circumstances I would look at my mail using a web mail site. I am with BT so use theirs but I also use click here .com
This gives you the chance to look and decide if you really need the mail and if not delete it on the server without downloading to your computer.

Bagsey 14:29 08 Jul 03

Sorry I put a space in the url. It should be click here

Lú-tzé 14:33 08 Jul 03

Try mailwasher - click here

It will allow you to see what is on the server, read it from the server, and delete it if it is not wanted.

At least you will see who it is from and you can ask them not to send such large attachments.

Sir Radfordin 14:36 08 Jul 03

If you don't have webmail access as indicated by Bagsey you have two other options.

One is to see if you can telnet to the pop3 and delete the mail that way (ask if you need instructions but please state ISP)

The second is download Pegasus Mail (click here) and set yourself up using that. It then has a selective mail download option that will poll the headers and let you delete them direct from the server without downloading them.

Something called 'popcorn' may also allow you to do this.

Big Elf 14:55 08 Jul 03

I use 'email remover' from click here

huzzar 15:13 08 Jul 03

Thank you all ever so much - I used (now use) mail2web which is really easy and great.

Thanks again - you're just great to know

david4637 15:57 09 Jul 03

Could you please let me know how you can use Telnet to view that email with the large attachment, and delete it if necessary? Thanks David

david4637 15:59 09 Jul 03

I should have directed this to Sir Radfordin not huzzar. Apologies David

Sir Radfordin 16:55 09 Jul 03

click here and you should find all you need - it doesn't work with all ISPs.

david4637 20:16 09 Jul 03

Thanks Sir R. I will try it out. David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…