large hard drive format partition

bdub 17:34 03 Mar 05

I have fitted a 200 Gb hd ,installed xp +SP2 and added registry large disc support (from seagate)
My problem now is XP is running fine on a 31Gb partition ,in disc managemanet i am being shown this partition(drive C)the a drive F with 2000 (Yes thousand) gbs,When I try and format it to make it usable it gets to 100% and stops...any ideas

Chegs ® 18:06 03 Mar 05

I would be inclined to wipe that install and start again.Use XP to partition the hdd,then once you have setup partitioning,XP will let you format the 1st partition with either NTFS/FAT32,then once its finished formatting it instantly sets off and installs itself.Once its finished that,reboot from the XP CD and use either the "Recovery Console" or XP CD to format the various partitions.

bdub 20:20 03 Mar 05

How do I re format as I only know the dos way and it won't let me do that?

bdub 09:01 04 Mar 05

still need help

dw1carter 10:40 04 Mar 05

If you have used Seagate software to enable large capacity Hard Drive installation, you may have to remove the layer before you can use Dos again. I had a warning about it when using the same sort of thing to install my Maxtor Hard Drive

bdub 11:07 04 Mar 05

How do I remove the layer?

bdub 11:31 04 Mar 05

Re Chegs note,when putting the Xp disk in says it can't complete any of the tasks as there is a more up to date version (I put SP2 on )So That disk does nothing. Shall i see if i can find a magnet in the kids room?

dw1carter 12:10 04 Mar 05

Go on to the Seagate site and check for the software, if it is the same as Maxtor, they will have a download to remove it.

Chegs ® 12:27 04 Mar 05

Recovery Console should be on your XP CD,its a "limited" version of DOS which should let you sort your problem out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…