Laptops For The USA!!

Wirral Bagpuss 10:50 08 Mar 03

I have a friend who currently works in the USA as a teacher. She is planning on returning to the UK next year. My friend would like to buy a laptop in the States but wants to be able to use it when she returns to the UK. What advice can you give?

davidg_richmond 11:02 08 Mar 03

if she gets a multinational brand name laptop, such as compaq, toshiba, and i think dell, they usually have a power supply that can work on both voltages. best check with the supplier to make sure. also, a mulitnational will have an international warranty, so any problems can be solved here in the Uk. she can fill in the warranty card that normally comes with them and get support.

Cordy13 11:04 08 Mar 03

110/220v compatible or switchable would be the main thing to check.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:07 08 Mar 03

Laptops are powered off 13v ish so it is the charger that she needs to look at to ensure that it will be UK compatible......nearly all are.

Belatucadrus 11:12 08 Mar 03

click here is a usefull link, it looks as though with the exception of a plug adapter no extra hardware will be required. The keyboard however is unlikely to have a £ sign, while changing the keyboard to English British would fix this, it would jumble several other key functions and is likely to be more trouble than it's worth. So if she can live without the pound sign getting a laptop in the US is likely to be cheaper than buying one here. Probably an idea to check the warranty details to ensure it has UK coverage.

Demora 11:15 08 Mar 03

I bought a Toshiba Satelite in the USA and brought it here no problems. BTW CompUSA had some great deals on. Toshiba have a worldwide warranty BUT they are reliable as are Compaq. Never owned a Dell

Wirral Bagpuss 15:21 08 Mar 03

Thanks for all your replies!. Sounds like the only problem will be with the £ sign on the keyboard!. I'll pass on the advice to my frined and hopefully it will help her in choosing a laptop!!. Would'nt mind one myself now!! :)

Belatucadrus 13:32 11 Mar 03

Just a thought, your friend could always use character map to insert the £, so even this isn't really an issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…