laptops suffering from amnesia!

en1gma12 20:21 01 Jun 04

Hi,

We have a few panasonic cf-41 laptops and all but 2 of them has forgotten it has a cd rom drive. One of them is running win 95 and was working fine one minute but then upon booting it up, it had forgotten it had a cd rom. We can put cd's in the cd rom and they will spin and the laser head moves but as far as the laptop is concerned, it doesn't have a cd rom. We have the two that are fine and three with this non existant cd rom problem. Any ideas?

Kath.

Fruit Bat 21:22 01 Jun 04

Are these plug in drive in place of Floppy drives if so:

Have exactly same problem with some old HP laptops.

Have use recovery disks, reinstalled drivers even installed WIN Me still same.

en1gma12 21:28 01 Jun 04

No, the cd roms are a permanent fixture, they are located under the keyboard. We have tried formatting the hardrives, re installing windows but nothing seems to work.

woodchip 22:16 01 Jun 04

Have you tried removing the CD drive from Device Manager Right Click My Computer/Properties/Device Manager Remove the CD drive, then reboot and it should reconfigure the CD drive

en1gma12 22:48 01 Jun 04

The cd rom isn't listed in device manager on one of the laptops. Will check the others and see if its listed in theirs.

en1gma12 23:03 01 Jun 04

The cd rom was listed in one of the other laptops but its icon had an exclamation mark through it. I removed it and did a reboot but it did nothing and still refuses to acknowledge the cd rom.

woodchip 23:10 01 Jun 04

They must be out of breath

en1gma12 23:21 01 Jun 04

Does that mean they've had it? hehehe

woodchip 23:23 01 Jun 04

Passably

woodchip 23:24 01 Jun 04

Possibly

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…