laptops running slow

ripendigging 20 Jul 11

my two grandaughters have the same laptops Dell Latitude 610.,both are running really slow,both full of rubbish.Is there any quick way to clean them up,both on xp.I bought them about 18 months ago secondhand,from a reputable supplier but with no O.S.recovery disc.Thankyou for any help.

northumbria61 20 Jul 11

Download and run CCleaner from here link text

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20 Jul 11

Get all valuable data off and try a recovery

Dell Recovery Instructions 1. Reboot, and press Ctrl + F11 at the Dell logo. 2. The Dell™ PC Restore by Symantec screen will come up. 3. Select "Restore" or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter. 4. if you wish to continue, click "Confirm", or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter. 5. When the utility is finished, click "Finish", or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.

northumbria61 20 Jul 11

You could also download and run "Defraggler" another FREE program to sort out any defragmented files - also from with "CCleaner" you can choose "Tools" from left hand side and disable any software you do not want to start at "startup"

You should see a difference in speed and the rubbish will be cleaned out !

wee eddie 20 Jul 11

I don't know how old your granddaughters are, but I have noticed that many young people cannot be bothered to run up-to-date security Software on their PCs. Others go over the top and have 2 AntiVirus Programs loaded which is a recipe for disaster.

I also recommend CCleaner, followed by Defraggler ads a good & safe way of clearing out many of the potential "Slowers Down".

ripendigging 21 Jul 11

I would like to thank you all for your excellent advice,I am trying the first one now.Thankyou.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message