Laptops-running from mains supply

pepsy 23:20 28 Mar 04

I'm hoping to get a laptop for my mum because she really hasn't the space for a desktop.
I was wondering that as she will be running it from the mains supply most of the time, will this damage the battery? Does the power come through the battery like a mobile phone or does it bypass the battery completely? Can you work a laptop without a battery?

Any advice much appreciated

Diodorus Siculus 23:27 28 Mar 04

If the machine will be connected to the mains, then it would be best to remove the battery. It will work fine without it.

With the machine should come a guide to care for the battery.

Belatucadrus 23:30 28 Mar 04

It's not going to damage the battery, but it is an idea to run the battery flat every now and again. click here for the laptop battery FAQ page from Absolute Battery, all you ever wanted to know and more.

Djohn 23:33 28 Mar 04

Agree with Diodorus Siculus. Best to run without the battery while connected to the mains. They are easy to remove, just reconnect it every so often to recharge, Laptop can still be used while the battery is being re-charged. j.

Djohn 23:38 28 Mar 04

Nice link Belatucadrus, plenty of good advice and information there. :o)

Forum Editor 23:46 28 Mar 04

will be fine, but the battery will suffer from the constant trickle charge cycle, and should be removed. I work this way myself - my laptop is rarely used on the battery.

Occasionally your mother should fully discharge the battery (by using the machine off the mains) and then let it take a full charge. This is 'proper' cycling as far as the battery is concerned, and will extend its life.

pepsy 00:18 29 Mar 04

Thanks again for all the advice.

Gaz 25 02:54 29 Mar 04

The gericom laptop battery is irrimovable without taking it apart, therefore since I use it as a desktop replacement what I am to do... I dont want to trickle charge it all the time and suffer from any side affects since there have been times where the battery comes in handy.

Gaz 25 03:03 29 Mar 04

What do I do?

Diodorus Siculus 07:46 29 Mar 04

Gaz 25 - run off the battery when you can and then plug in to get a charge as required.

Gaz 25 16:57 29 Mar 04

so I run off the battery more?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…