laptops and internet access

Gerona5 20:15 27 Jul 05

What is needed in terms of equipment so that a laptop can be used to access the internet? Already have a PC on AOL Broadband(which works well) but due to lack of space for another PC am considering a laptop if this is technically possible.

Strawballs 20:22 27 Jul 05

You will need a wireless modem /router which you can connect your desk top to wired and if the laptop is going to be new most new ones are already wireless enabled if not a wireless pcmcia card about £25 then the laptop can access the net from anyware in the house or garden

Danoh 22:15 27 Jul 05

To have 2 computers use one broadband line, you will need a router. Little difference between a wired-only and wireless router which can also take a wired PC, so you might as well go for the wireless option for your laptop.

However, I read another thread in one of these forums that AOL customers can not use two computers to access the same AOL broadband account at the same time. Also you are probably tied to using AOL's Broadband modem for their service cover and will need to have a separate router rather than try to get a combined BB Modem and Router in one device.

Satmansq 13:13 28 Jul 05

I have assisted someone to set up networking to use 2 PCs online at once, laptop should be no different.
However AOL software is a bit particular about the equipment you use, peer to peer networking wont work, AOL suggested the type of hub required and after a couple of problems we got it working.

HondaMan 13:32 28 Jul 05

I use the BT2100. Brilliant bit of kit!

HondaMan 13:36 28 Jul 05

You cannot access the SAME SCREEN-NAME from two computers at the same time, but you certainly can access the same account. I access my account from up to four computers at any one time.

The modem is NOT locked. The supplied modem was a BT100 USB modem. In anjy event, most modems are not locked, just the provided drivers. New ones can easily be downloaded from the net

Danoh 14:16 28 Jul 05

Thank you for the corrections, HondaMan. I am not nor have ever been an AOL customer. Is it true that AOL support would not cover you if you have problems with a modem that they have not supplied or listed as one of a few that they do support?

Danoh 14:23 28 Jul 05

HondaMan, I never mentioned any modem being locked? Just AOL's support cover.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…