Laptop/Notebook Gaming Query

DixonBainbridge 02:41 17 Jun 06

Hi all, first post from a bit of a computer noob here. :)

I'm currently looking to purchase a new laptop/notebook. After playing console games for many years, I'm now interested in getting into PC gaming a little bit. I know laptops are gonna be nowhere near desktop performance for gaming, but I need the portability and can't afford to get a desktop too. Therefore I'm trying to find a laptop that can perform reasonably well on games, for a not too extortianate price.

Long story short, I've found a couple that I'm interested in that are just within my budget. The big question I have is: what is more important for running games, outright processor speed or graphics card ability?

Here are the basic specs of the 2 models with regards CPU and graphics card...

1) CPU - Pentium 4 650, 3.4 Ghz, 800Mhz FSB. Card - ATI Mobility Radeon X600, PCI Express x16, 256MB

2) CPU - Intel Dual Core T2500, 2.0 Ghz, 667Mhz FSB. Card - ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, PCI Express, 256MB

Now, I've just cut 'n' pasted those specs from the manufacturers websites, I won't pretend to fully understand what it all means! However, the jist that I can get from it is that one has a fast single-core processor and a rather modest graphics card, and the other has a slower, but dual-core, processor and a better graphics card.

So which combination would be best for getting half-decent performance from modern games? (I'm particularly looking to be playing the likes of racing sims like GTR, GT Legends and Grand Prix 4)

Phew, I don't half waffle on sometimes! Sorry bout that, and thanks in advance for the help. :)

DixonBainbridge 14:55 17 Jun 06

Come on guys and gals, I need your help here!! I kinda thought there would be some responses by now. :p

Mavisk 15:31 17 Jun 06

The second combination with dual core and the x1600 card is by far the better choice.
What is your budget?.

DixonBainbridge 19:21 17 Jun 06

Thanks for the reply, that was kinda what I suspected. :)

My budget is around the £1200 or thereabouts. The laptop with the dual core and the X1600 is an HP nc8430, if that means anything to anyone. It looks like a good overall package, although a teeny bit more than I was planning to spend at £1250. If it's worth though I can stretch the budget to suit.

Does anyone know of any other good gaming-capable laptops in that sort of £1200 price range?

Mavisk 11:54 18 Jun 06

I've just bought this one click here
Which I am pleased with,and manages games well.
This is a good site to look at click here
Something like this one click here
is the next step up,if the budget could stretch and would run any game with ease.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…