Laptop/notebook battery packs

VCR97 19:53 22 Feb 05

I'd be grateful if someone who is familiar with the power circuitry of laptop/notebook computers would answer this question. If I use my computer permanently as a desktop device using a mains adapter, should the battery pack be in place or removed? Mine is in place and I do a monthly discharge/charge routine. I assume that the charger is properly designed and will prevent over-charging.

LeadingMNMs 20:07 22 Feb 05

I'm certainly no expert, but I'd remove the battery. From personal experience I find that the battery will lose its ability to hold charge if its always running off the mains.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:23 22 Feb 05

Laptop Batteries
click here

VCR97 19:05 27 Feb 05

There's more to batteries than meets the eye. That's an interesting link. I've removed the pack as suggested. Thanks.

woodchip 19:10 27 Feb 05

I bought a New laptop and needed to know about Lap Batteries Found out if you us on mains charge the battery to 40% then remove and put in polythene bag and put in Fridge not Freezer to store. I also bought a 300watt Inverter so that it will run off cig lighter socket as the Lap battery comes at about £155 a throw

gedr 20:12 27 Feb 05

If I could just add this for the record, I've had my laptop since
Jan. 2003 and the battery has never been out of it.
My advice from Evesham was:-- take the battery out if you are not going to use it for two weeks but don't leave it in store for more than six months.

When using battery power alone, I find it still lasts the same length of time, doing the same type of work, this way it gets its charge/discharge cycle.

Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Cheers, gedr.

gedr 20:13 27 Feb 05

If I could just add this for the record, I've had my laptop since
Jan. 2003 and the battery has never been out of it.
My advice from Evesham was:-- take the battery out if you are not going to use it for two weeks but don't leave it in store for more than six months.

When using battery power alone, I find it still lasts the same length of time, doing the same type of work, this way it gets its charge/discharge cycle.

Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Cheers, gedr.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…