Laptop?.....Notebook?

pinnicat 07:44 11 Feb 05

Basically...what is /are the difference(s) between a laptop and a notebook?
thank-you

Diodorus Siculus 07:48 11 Feb 05

Nothing nowadays - just nomenclature - notebook is a more recent term and is often used with the prefix sub. Thus, subnotebook indicates a very small notebook (often half size).

pinnicat 07:53 11 Feb 05

basically all i want to do is run a cdrom on the move or "elsewhere" and provide clipart images to copy from when at work...shouldn't be a problem then ...no?

Diodorus Siculus 07:56 11 Feb 05

Get a notebook / laptop with a CD drive and you can use it anywhere...

GRFT 09:07 11 Feb 05

Laptop is a more descriptive term than notebook for what is the same machine. Normally you can slip a notebook into your pocket, but that wouldn't work with a laptop computer. However, it all depends on your own preference..

anchor 09:22 11 Feb 05

Notebook & Laptop seem to be interchangeable terms these days. No differences.

Toshiba call them notebooks, and Sony refer to their VAIO range as laptops.

pinnicat 09:33 11 Feb 05

It seemed to me to be a manufacturer issue....given that the spec on either was pretty much the same across the range.
thanks gang.

Maverick81 09:40 11 Feb 05

Most PC companies are re introducing the term "notebook" because most modern notebooks get that hot they dont really want you putting them on your lap.

Thats pretty much it

Cheers

Mav

pinnicat 02:51 12 Feb 05

Right so i got my laptop/notebook...i still have one concern...how hot should these things actually get?

pinnicat 02:53 12 Feb 05

The body of the machine aint so bad, but the "vent?" at the side could heat a small east european province...it's brand new if that's significant.

Paul M 08:12 12 Feb 05

I have a laptop of my own and another for work. Neither gets too warm, let alone hot, although if you used them on your lap you may risk obstructing the cooling fan outlet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…