Laptop/Desktop networking

azure0 22:48 19 Nov 05

I have recently been given an IBM 570 Thinkpad (circa
02/99) that I wish to use for note taking, data dumping etc. There is a small fixed hard drive but no removable storage devices. It does have however, a Xircom card interface to which I have connected a networking cable. I don't have access to one of the docking units so thought that I may be able to cross connect the two devices.I have installed a 10/100 NIC PCI card in my desktop and run the drivers. It appears to work okay. The desktop runs XP Pro whilst the laptop Win95. Both laptop and desktop are connected but they don't seem to be communicating. As I am a newby at networking, any advice much appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:58 19 Nov 05

you need

1. a crossover cable.

2. both PCs to be using the same workgroup name

3. shared folders on both PCs

4. firewalls set to allow access.

Yuo have installed the cards now how far else have you proceeded?

azure0 23:29 19 Nov 05

The main issue appears to be, that I am unable to access the laptop hard drive - (I can only access via cable link). With Win95 being so old I don't know the prompts to get in and change the workgroup names/folder and directories via the command page. However the good news is the crossover cable (Cat 5e UTP)is connected and the firewall on the desktop has been modified to allow access. (Is there a website that has all the Win. prompts + idiots guide to there usage.)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:41 19 Nov 05

click here may help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…